Re: cant ping external website

Mark Haney wrote:

Server configurations would hardly be likely to need it, would they?

If servers wouldn't need it, why would /any/ system need it? Can
someone tell me that?

OK, I phrased that badly :-)

Production servers likely have no need for multiple host names on the
loopback interface.

My development server, as I mentioned, has all of my various web projects
with a separate IP on the loopback adapter, so that apache can see them as
different virtual hosts:

$ grep 127 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 bella
127.0.2.1 nagisa.pointerstop.ca nagisa
127.0.2.2 plonevdc.pointerstop.ca plonevdc
127.0.2.3 nagisa2.pointerstop.ca nagisa2

but strictly you're right - it's only a server that could take advantage of
that.
--
derek