Re: cant ping external website

Mark Haney wrote:

Server configurations would hardly be likely to need it, would they?

If servers wouldn't need it, why would /any/ system need it? Can
someone tell me that?

OK, I phrased that badly :-)

Production servers likely have no need for multiple host names on the
loopback interface.

My development server, as I mentioned, has all of my various web projects
with a separate IP on the loopback adapter, so that apache can see them as
different virtual hosts:

$ grep 127 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 bella
127.0.2.1 nagisa.pointerstop.ca nagisa
127.0.2.2 plonevdc.pointerstop.ca plonevdc
127.0.2.3 nagisa2.pointerstop.ca nagisa2

but strictly you're right - it's only a server that could take advantage of
that.
--
derek

  • Re: Need your recommendations for TCP Server/Client design
    ... port on the loopback interface. ... Yet another alternative might be to just use ssh, ... to enter passwords for all the servers. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Auto-Updates for production servers
    ... I've tried to take this up with management, but it's the old 'buddy system', ... update your servers on a frequent basis but it is not best practice to have ... I prefer to push my updates on a weekly basis. ... on for production servers, but rather they should push them out with admin ...
  • Re: Auto-Updates for production servers
    ... His issues are with servers being updated ... Why not propose they schedule their auto updates say like every evening at ... the 'you need to reboot your server ... production servers. ...
  • Warehouse data from production db or reporting db?
    ... I was looking for insight into a data warehouse design decision. ... We are going to have multiple sql2000 production servers and multiple ... We will be using replication from the ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.datawarehouse)
  • Re: Changes Required for migration from MTS to COM+
    ... Microsoft MVP, MCSD ... Download and install the Core SDK and Internet Development SDK for ... > development and production servers. ... > However, after the production servers was release to go live, we start to ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.atl)