Help needed in installing Nvidia on Ubuntu

Hello,

I am not sure about whether it is the right platform to ask question on
installing Nvidia on Ubuntu 8.10, but since there are many talented gurus
and good support, I am taking this opportunity.

I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 and have Nvidia 8800 GT card. Motherboard
is Intel DG31PR. When I reboot the machine, it says that the GeForce
8800 GT doesn't have appropriate external cables and unless we rectify
this problem, X will not start.

I don't know what is appropriate external cable is ? I have Old CRT monitor
and one adapter came along with the Nvidia package.

There was one option to run the graphics in low-grade mode, when I tried
to use that, it says GLX not found and double buffer is not available.

Can someone give some directions to resolve these problems ?

csv