Re: Problem mounting a USB flashdrive on Intrepid

Mark Haney wrote:
Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
It mounts and is both read/writeable on my computer (Intrepid).
But not on the new Intrepid box I just put together last week for
my wife. The device shows up/disappears when I plug it in/remove
it. But when accessed her user is told:

Cannot mount volume You are not privileged to mount this volume

Just for giggles, try mounting the volume manually. Granted only
root will have access to it, but it /will/ eliminate a USB problem
on your's wife's system.

Although, I do believe Leonard is right, your wife's user account
is not part of the disk group (or whatever group that's used for
that.).

Turned out that the problem was my defining her old Windows XP drive
incorrectly in /etc/fstab via the older method of /dev/sdxn. Once it
was no longer declared as /dev/sdc1 (which Ubuntu apprently wanted to
use for the USB), and I had set it up to mount via its UUID, the USB
device mounted and opened for R/W correctly. Now my wife is no longer
(for now) giving me the evil eye about this "totally unnecessary move
away from Windows". :D
NP: nothing

  • Re: PROBLEM: writting files > 100 MB in FAT32
    ... you are saying that if you copy files larger than 100mb into drive, ... While i mount it, i got in my local disk and copy one file that is 520 ... I get my USB stick and when i return to home i trying to copy file from ... USB to my windows and linux. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Using a USB Hub on Linux ?
  • Re: USB Issue with New Kernel?
    ... I now have an issue with an external USB hard drive ... It appears that the drive will mount if it's powered on when Ubuntu ... could indicate a problem with that hub that Windows may ignore but Linux ... Michael "TheZorch" Haney ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • hi, problem with Canyon portable HDD with USB interface
    ... Can't mount Canyon portable HDD with USB interface ... bfa00000-cfbfffff: PCI Bus #01 ... I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Police Officer Kills Wife, Two Others, Commits Suicide
    ... Police Officer Kills Wife, Two Others, Commits Suicide ... Mount and wife Kim Mount, a police clerk, may have had domestic problems ... Mike Mount drove to the house of fellow Officer and friend Joe Gomez because ...
    (alt.true-crime)