Re: Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping

--- On Sat, 12/6/08, NoOp <glgxg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: NoOp <glgxg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can't Navigate My LAN Or Ping
To: ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 5:07 PM
On 12/05/2008 10:18 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Let's recap:

Internet
2Wire DSL Modem/Router (4 ports?)
IP Router = gateway.2wire.net = 192.168.1.254
Router
Yes, and that's what ATT says to use for static
IPs also.
With static setup get; ping: unknown host
gateway.2wire.net
and PING 192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254) 56(84) bytes of
data.

--- 192.168.1.254 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss,
time 1999ms

not good.

Ok, just to clarify; you have a 2Wire 1701HG 4 port +
wireless DSL
modem. That device is set as follows:

Gateway: 192.168.1.254
IP Network: 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Range: 192.168.1.64 – 192.168.1.253
Static Range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.63

Your wireless setup on the router is set at default if I
recall, so it
should look something like this:
http://shastademo.2wire.com/rgw3-7/CONTENT/management/xslt9.htm
I highly recommend setting it for WPA after you get
connected if it is
set for WEP now.[1]

Yes, looks similar only the numbers have changed to protect the innocent.
But, it has been a while since I was able to access it and it may have changed. I've never used WPA, understand it's better than WEP for sucurity
but will need some help setting it up or at least some howto.

Your _Intrepid_ Wireless Machine (IWM - other room) is
using a Linksys
PCI card: WMP54G and it's IP is set for a static
address of 192.168.1.2.

Correct so far?

No, the wireless machine is on gutsy, otherwise yes.

It's already been shown that static IP's aren't
working in Intrepid's
Network Manager. So in this case I think that you have two
choices:

Ok, that machine with Intrepid is in the shop to get the cpu fan
repaired and I had intended to purge network manager and install
widcd and will in 2 wks or more when I get it back.

1. Reset your IWM for DHCP and see if you can then connect.
I can reset to DHCP easily enough but what is IWM? This is on my
list to do but was waiting on your and Nils reply before doing too much.

When you do
that, be sure to: 1) reset the 1701HG (power off for at
least 60 sec to
be sure),
Ok will do. The router was turned off yesterday for quite some time
but while on static IP so will do it when going to DHCP.

2) create a new DHCP setting in NM as others have
reported
that using the same one doesn't work. I've removed
NM so & use wicd so I
can't tell you how to do the last.

Ok, if you mean to delete the old static settings and install a new
DHCP setting I will. There is no current DHCP setting in NM so if
You mean somthing else please explain. I'll most likely go to wicd
on the intrepid machine when I get it back because of all the NM
problem in intrepid.

2. Remove NM and install WiCD instead - you can always
reinstall NM if
you have issue with wicd.

For the Intrepid machine, yes. Should I or need I do it on the gutsy
wireless machine?

Try them in that order. Once you get your wireless working
& talking to
the 2wire, you will then be able to ping 192.168.1.254. The
AT&T tech is
correct... you are not making the connection from the IWM
to the 1701HG.

I will go to DHCP on the wireless right now. I was waiting on your
reply before doing so. Let's hope I can connect to 2wire at least.
It will be some time before I can change the new machine.

Manuals for the 2701HG (which should apply to your 1701HG
are here:
http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2701_installation_guide.pdf
http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2701HG_user_guide.pdf

Remember you telling me that before and did download it at the
time. Must be on another version. Will get it again, thanks.

[1] You can check for what your 1701HG is set for from the
IWM even if
it isn't connecting; use NM and it should tell you if
the 1701HG is WEP
or WPA. If NM isn't working properly for that, then use
the command line
to find out:

$ sudo iwlist scan

That will tell you all of the networks in range, find yours
and note
whether it is currently set for WEP, WPA, WPA2, other.

I know it's set for WEP as that's all I ever use. I sent snapshots
of the gnome nm aplet which didn't show much. Output of the
above command is:
lchata@ubuntu:~$ sudo iwlist scan
[sudo] password for lchata:
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:18:3F:26:4D:A9
ESSID:"2WIRE482"
Mode:Master
Channel:6
Frequency:2.437 GHz
Signal level=-50 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000001657cc9c0e
Cell 02 - Address: 52:EB:3F:B5:FE:A9
ESSID:"SETUP"
Mode:Ad-Hoc
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz
Signal level=-56 dBm
Encryption key:off
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=0000004f0c2dbbdc

lchata@ubuntu:~$
And it doesn't tell me much either except that I'm on line and have
been all day except for a couple of lost connections. I then went to
gnome and things have been running a little smoother. Thought you
might like to hear that-:))

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security
    ... I don't know if the technology improved any, but when deploying wireless ... You can use WEP in coordination with other ... technologies, VPN, IPSEC, etc to make your network more secure. ... We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Wireless ISPs
    ... If they put WEP in, that's one more thing for customer to do and they'll ... Therefore end-user security ... Im using this venue to influence several wireless ISPs ... >> All transactions done via secure websites are ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: wireless PC connected to network connection
    ... >network while watching the router log. ... >wireless pc had connected (obviously not the unidentified one whose MAC ... >the Axim, put in the new WEP info, and connected again. ... Why the frequent connections? ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • RE: Wireless wep crackin on windows
    ... Airsnort on windows is limited. ... mode under windows to capture the WEP packets. ... distro focused on pentesting and wireless. ... knoppix-std and mine is usability card autodetection by kismet etc etc. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Wireless Pent-Test
    ... Download airsnort, wepcrack, kismet and other usefull tools.. ... Subject: Wireless Pent-Test ... that I've tested the security on a wireless network. ... would implement 128 bit WEP security to prevent unauthorized access. ...
    (Pen-Test)