Re: Strange HDD behavior?

On 12/10/08 7:51 AM, Brian McKee wrote:
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Amichai Rotman<amichai@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now all is OK, but I noticed my Kubuntu 8.04.1 box's HDD led is blinking
franticly for ours.

Is that for hours?

I ran the top command and I see 'kjournald' is high on the list, often at
the top of it...

kjournald is related to the journal for ext3. What do you see in
/var/log/messages or syslog?

To do a quick hard drive health check you could also install
smartmontools and run sudo smartctl -AH /dev/sda
Note that SMART isn't perfect - in my experience a drive marked bad is
going to die, but a drive that it says is ok could still have issues.

Brian

I can definitely vouch for the last statement about a SMART tool stating
a drive is OK, but in reality it is not. As an anecdote, I recently had
to RMA one of my hard drives. It is a Western Digital, only ~ 2 years
old that wound up exhibiting the "click of death". It had momentarily
performed the click during an earlier reboot, but I was able to get the
drive up. After that episode, I downloaded WD's hard drive check tool
and checked the SMART status and also performed the "quick" test (which
checks for everything except for bad sectors). The utility gave the
drive a clean bill of health. I backed up the data anyhow, and on the
next reboot, the drive was dead for good.

So, yes, if a SMART utility deems a drive is bad, it almost certainly
is. But, if it says a drive is OK, it might not actually be OK. It
should only be one of many tools in your trouble-shooting arsenal.

  • Re: HDD Compatibility
    ... and new larger drives appear in the ... BIOS Upgrades ... available expansion slot and then connecting your hard drives to it. ... than having to connect them to the controller card itself. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Securely erasing data from hard drive
    ... Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, ... Any software approved by DoD for disk sanitizing will work. ... "Disposition of DoD Unclassified Computer Hard Drives", Linton Wells II, June 1, 2001 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Origin of hard drive parameters
    ... origin of the hard drives parameters i.e. geometry, ... that CHS,> as you say, is arbitrary when referring to modern drives. ... disk is stored on the disk. ... and Inquiry commands you are accessing data stored on the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: HDFMTPH versions for Atari 8-bit hard drives
    ... These notes cannot/do not replace the MIO owner's manual. ... The MIO can only use hard drives with 256 byte sectors. ... The RLL Adaptec controller is the ACB-4070. ...
    (comp.sys.atari.8bit)
  • Re: Mass Coruption with Downloaded Installations
    ... ESC at one point) is *not* the method for a clean install! ... upgrading to SP3 without applying a particular patch first is ... external hard drives, printers, etc.) and configure a Clean Boot ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)