Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

I have a beautiful new HP EliteBook 8530p which I'm trying to get ubuntu
installed onto. Currently runs Vista x64 (this shouldnt really matter
though). I cant seem to get any version of Ubuntu to boot into the disc
correctly. the disks ARE getting burned properly and have no errors.

I've tried various flavors here to see if any of them work and im having no
luck.

Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 & 32bit Desktop Alternate – gets me to the screen where I
choose the language and I choose install ubuntu. Gives the progress bar
where it loads the installer and all that stuff then brings me to a blinking
cursor on a black screen. It stays like this indefinitely.

Kubuntu 8.10 32bit – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup. CPU#1 stuck for
11s. Modeprobe:1040

Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Server – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup. CPU#1
stuck for 11s. Modeprobe:1040

The strange thing is at one point a few days ago I was able to boot the
amd64 one into the livecd. The only thing that's change since then is a put
a new drive in the laptop. But I've put the old one back in to see if I can
again boot into the live cd, and no go. No bios changes have been made. Im
lost. Please help.

--

mv
315.952.5753

  • >>>> INSTALL UBUNTU <<<<
    ... Ubuntu No Install Screen Boot Scripts ... After Install Ubuntu Server Constantly Reboots ... Which Ubuntu Linux Kernal To Install ...
    (rec.music.progressive)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to get out of sh:grub>
    ... I'm beginner with ubuntu, I have used ubuntu wubi 9.10 for this ... Ubuntu installed in a dual boot arrangement with XP. ... If I install Grub onto the internal drive, ... to the USB Drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall
    ... keep all the other partitions since the MBR is kept. ... Sorry to ask this question in ubuntu list. ... During the XP install process you can delete all of your partitions ... partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose ...
    (Ubuntu)