how to disable pulseaudio (was: Re: libflashsupport, pulseaudio and hardy)

H.S. wrote:

Well, I hate to say this, but there are still some kinks in multimedia
playback with pulseaudio on Hardy. The user reported this to be only
recently. Apparently, Totem player does not play some avi files (grabbed
by a digicam) properly. I tested and gxine does. Also, some news
websites' video clips are not being played properly.

So, where does that leave us? Looks like pulse audio is a mess at
present with at least the current scenario regarding flash and possibly
with some avi files (though it may be a question of the right codec).

So I have decided to roll back the computer in question to using alsa
and forgo pulse audio for now.

BTW, pulse audio is working fine in all these respects on my computer,
Debian Testing. So I am confident the newer releases of Ubuntu will have
improvements regarding this.

Regards.

Just wanted to know if somebody knows how to disable pulseaudio in Hardy.

I have so far set all options in Preferences->Sound to use Alsa. I have
uninstalled some packages regarding pulse audio and also remove
/etc/asound.conf that I used to set pulseaudio to default. I now have
only the following packages remaining regarding pulseaudio:
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 libpulse-mainloop-glib0
libpulse0 libpulsecore5 pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-utils

But I still see a pulse audio process when a user is logged in:
$ ps uax | grep pulse
hs 6192 0.0 1.0 26976 4876 ? S<l 21:17 0:04
/usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog

So, what do I need to really disable pulseaudio. Preferably the option
should not involve uninstalling pulseaudio package (moreover, if I try
to remove pulseaudio in Hardy, it also wants to remove other desktop
packages).

Thanks.

ever having been read.

  • Re: how to disable pulseaudio
    ... You can try the following two steps to /sideline/ pulse audio on 8.10 ... ALSA as if there is no PA. ... Just wanted to know if somebody knows how to disable pulseaudio in Hardy. ... uninstalled some packages regarding pulse audio and also remove ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: F10 Strange Audio Errors
    ... until I removed PulseAudio. ... I assume that requires more than just stopping the pulse audio demon? ... I removed pulse audio using the standard package kit add/remove ... will remove the hack that SDL programs needed to use pulseaudio. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: how to disable pulseaudio
    ... Just wanted to know if somebody knows how to disable pulseaudio in Hardy. ... uninstalled some packages regarding pulse audio and also remove ... should not involve uninstalling pulseaudio package (moreover, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Pulseaudio will nur als user-Prozess laufen
    ... Dell Latitude D630 immer Mucken gemacht hat unter Ubuntu). ... Unter Hardy ist ja pulseaudio der Soundserver, ... initialization failed. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Vinyl to PC transfer problem
    ... The Recording volume as 'supplied' was ... Pulseaudio was in control of everything. ... The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. ... pulseaudio-esound-compat for installation produce similar messages. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)