Re: how to disable pulseaudio

Sonal Santan wrote:
Hello,

You can try the following two steps to /sideline/ pulse audio on 8.10

[1]
Open /etc/pulse/default.pa in an editor. Look for lines similar to the
following two commented out lines:

#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0

Add the following two lines after these two lines:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop

The above change will force PA to use dmix/dsnoop and not take exclusive
control of sound hardware.

[2]
Open /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf in an editor. Comment out the line which
says /usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf by inserting a # in the beginning. After
the change, the @hooks section would look something like the following.

@hooks [
{
func load
files [
# "/usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf"
"/usr/share/alsa/bluetooth.conf"
"/etc/asound.conf"
"~/.asoundrc"
]
errors false
}
]

This will prevent PA from presenting itself as default output/input for
all sound applications. Hence the other applications can continue to use
ALSA as if there is no PA.

The above two changes fix all PA nuisance and all my sound applications
work fine. You will need to select ALSA as sound device in
System->Preferences->Sound. With these changes PA is rendered useless
but it continues to run though nobody would use it. It doesn't consume
any system resources. I still do not know what needs to be changed so
that PA is not even started.

Sonal

Interesting. I will give this a shot. Though I note that doing the above
stuff to pulseaudio would still require a user's intervention to change
everything in Preferences->Sound to Alsa. I find this uncomfortable in
the sense that Ubuntu is supposed to be user friendly. Just choosing
"Default" should work when pulseaudio is deactivated. Again, all these
kludges just make Ubuntu the same as Debian. Debian is my default OS but
I always push Ubuntu for novice users who want to try Linux trumpeting
its easy of use.

BTW, when pulse audio is running, is alsamixer (the console level
controls) supposed to work? In a laptop running Intrepid, it works, but
on a computer running Hardy it doesn't. On the hardy machine, I get
something like this:
$> alsamixer
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: Connection refused

So how does alsamixer related to pulseaudio?

Thanks.

ever having been read.