Re: Install of Ubuntu 8.10 server unbootable (a measure of progress)

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
I've decided to try out Ubuntu 8.10 server on an older machine I have
here. It is a Supermicro P3TDER with a Promise TX4000 raid adapter.

I had previously had a different flavour of Linux installed on it with
several raid arrays created via mdadm. I thought I would leave these as
is, and install Ubuntu into them (i.e. format them as use them for
/boot, /, /usr, /var ...)

While the install itself went fine, the system will not reboot. I get a
message saying that md2 (/dev/md2 - the would be root) does not exist
and then the busybox prompt. Attempting a boot in rescue mode goes a
little further but says that all the arrays are "stopped". I've tried
experimenting with "rootdelay" in the grub config, but to no avail. It
looks as tho I have RAID and Promise SATA loaded (looking at /proc/modules).

I figured that I may have corrupted the arrays somehow, so I booted from
the cd, and picked "rescue broken installation", and from there "create
a shell on root" - and chose /dev/md2 as root. This works fine, I can
mount all the other filesystems successfully as well.

I have /boot as ext3 but everything else is xfs.

Any suggestions?

In fact I do have a few suggestions... :-)

Since the nice installer seems to know about drivers for the TX4000 card
I decided to try Promise firmware RAID - with the same result - busybox
prompt. Oh dear. However, exiting out of busybox resulted in the boot
continuing (seemingly) normally.

Hmmm - I tried removing 'splash' and 'quiet' from the kernel command
line, and this gets things a bit further... looks to be hanging
detecting/probing the CDROM drive now.

So, at least I've managed to boot the beast! I'll update everything to
the latest version, and see if that helps.

Cheers

Mark

  • Re: [opensuse] Help with Raid on 10.3
    ... I'm trying to do a new install of opensuse 10.3 on a new server box. ... like to have raid1 set up with 2 drives. ... differences between md raid and dm raid, ... The problem is the system won't boot on the first ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Installing Windows XP on SATA HDD
    ... Clive in Kent wrote: ... BIOS let you do it or did you have to boot to some other disk? ... the RAID. ... that's kind of what seems to be a problem for my own install -- I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: [opensuse] Help with Raid on 10.3
    ... I'm trying to do a new install of opensuse 10.3 on a new server box. ... like to have raid1 set up with 2 drives. ... differences between md raid and dm raid, ... The problem is the system won't boot on the first ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Help with Raid on 10.3 - SOLVED
    ... I'm trying to do a new install of opensuse 10.3 on a new server box. ... differences between md raid and dm raid, ... The problem is the system won't boot on the first ... you mentioned you had a separate boot partition. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: SATA Western Digital Caviar HD install and set up problems
    ... The F6 option may be required when you initially install win, ... Your mobo can utilise two forms of raid using two different drivers, ... successfully using raid sata there is no need for the other. ... Disconnecting the WD allows Windows to boot again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)