Re: MicroSD card mounts read-only

2008/12/26 darkweasel <darkweasel@xxxxxxxx>:
Hello everyone,

I recently (for Christmas) got a new 2GB MicroSD card and an adapter for
it to use it with my SD card slot - in order to be able to transfer
music from my computer to my Nokia 5300.

However, no matter if I insert the new MicroSD card or the old 256MB one
that came with my mobile phone, Ubuntu says it's read-only and doesn't
let me transfer music to it. I already asked at the German support forum
ubuntuusers.de but didn't receive an answer there.

Thanks in advance.

This often happens in FAT and NTFS media that was not properly
unmounted when removed from the previous device. For a Windows
computer, that means clicking Unmount (or whatever it is) before
removing the media from the computer. For many mobile phones, you must
power down the phone before removing the card.

I the flash media is not properly unmounted before being removed, the
filesystem will panic when mounted. Linux plays it safe and mounts
read-only in this case. It's bitten me more than once! And that is a
good thing, as Windows computers will mount the drive r/w and I have
twice seen data corruption as a result.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü