Re: removal of midbrowser

don fisher wrote:
Ray Parrish wrote:

don fisher wrote:

Ray,

I really appreciate your reply to my, at time, newbie questions. Let
me explain a few more details. The first is that I am trying to change
from Fedora to Ubuntu. So many of the tasks I previously new how to
perform changed or gained aliases:-) Part of the adventure I guess.

I have had to install the 32-bit version of firefox in my home
directory. I did this because some of the codecs for online videos
only exist in 32 bit formats.

Along the lines I found:
a) The links from /etc/alternatives are:
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/firefox-3.0
b) The links from /usr/bin are:
/usr/bin/firefox -> /usr/bin/firefox-3.0 ->
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5/firefox.sh

So both paths end up at /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5/firefox.sh.

But when I click on a link contained in a Thunderbird email, it still
opens midbrowser.

My ~/.mozilla directory, as shown below, does contain an entry for
midbrowser:

.mozilla>ls
appreg dfisher/ firefox@ mozver.dat plugins/
default/ extensions/ midbrowser/ pluginreg.dat

There appears to be something within Thunderbird that wants to use the
midbrowser rather than the firefox entries. I cannot find anything in
Thunderbird that would change that setting. I am not even aware of how
I enabled it. Maybe one of the upgrades did it by default?

Thanks again for your help. I really have most things working. Only
problems with Network Manager and Sound remain. But there have been
many other posts on these subjects so I assume they are being fixed.

don

Ray Parrish wrote:

don fisher wrote:

I have just installed ubuntu 8.10. In the past when running
Thunderbird, I could click on a link in an email message, and the
link would open in FireFox. Now it opens in midbrowser. Using
synaptic, I removed midbrowser. Then when I clicked on the link
nothing happened.

How does one tell Thunderbird to use FireFox rather than midbrowser?

Thanks
don

Start Firefox, select Edit, Preferences, on the Preferences dialog
select the Advanced tab. Near the bottom of that tab is a checkbox
that says "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser".
Check that, and then over to the right is a button which says "Check
Now". Click that and if it asks if you want to make Firefox the
default browser, click Yes.

Here is another method you can use in terminal, on the command line
type -

update-alternatives --install x-www-browser
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser /usr/bin/firefox

Then, use
update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /usr/bin/firefox
or
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Take your pick.

Later, Ray Parrish

Hello again,

LOL! You're a noob??? I've only been using Linux for about six months
now, after years of suffering the problems of Windows... I have been
tearing into the guts of Ubuntu every day however, and have been
learning quite a bit.

Also, I'm pretty good at using Google, and a search there on "ubuntu
thunderbird http link" has put me onto a thread that contains what I
think may be the answer for you.

Create a text file and name it user.js and put the following lines in it -

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
/home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/

WOOPS! I realized right after clicking the Send button, that I had
forgotten about your non-standard path to Firefox. Please amend the
paths in the user.js file to "/usr/bin/firefox-3.0" to make it work on
your system.

I hope this solves your problem.

Later, Ray Parrish

Ray,

That worked great. Thanks for the assist. My background more physical
science than computer science. Maybe you could point me to a dictionary
that explains LOL and noob?

Thanks again
don

LOL! Yeah, I have trouble with a lot of the anacronyms I see in the
groups at times, and think people should make a practice of putting
their full wording right after them in brackets the first time they use
them in a post. 8-) But then they wouldn't save any keystrokes, and I
guess that's the whole idea in the first place.

Now I know where to go to look them up, thanks to the link provided in
the other post.

I'm glad you're sorted out.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows