Sendmail slow?

Anybody know why sendmail is so slow to respond initially to a sent
email? When I hit the send button it takes about 8 seconds for the
email to go. I'm running Ubuntu server 8.10 and sendmail 8.14.3. I had
my mail server on a Fedora box before this and it would send mail
immediately upon hitting the send button in my mail client. As far as I
can tell, sendmail is configured identically to the old Fedora box. I
have greet pause enabled but disabled for my sending address. If I
enable it for my address it takes that much longer, so I know at least
that is working correctly. Any ideas where to start looking would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge
to rule."

H.L. Mencken