Re: Firefox lock file?

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 06:58 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:

sudo grep -F "Firefox is already" -r -H --devices=skip
--exclude-dir='\(/media\)' | '\(/proc\)' | '\(/home/ray/.wine\)' /

--exclude-dir uses GLOB expressions which are different than REs. You
can have multiple --exclude-dir directives, however. The name matching
is recursive, so the above is a little tricky to handle. Something like
this gets you close, however.

sudo grep "Firefox is already" -r -H --devices=skip --exclude-dir=media --exclude-dir=proc --exclude-dir .wine /

This will exclude any directory at an level whose name is "media", "proc" or ".wine".

I am not sure why you are doing this, unless you think the lockfile contains the message.

Well, now that you mention it, that was my flawed logic. I did get rid
of two places.sqlite files which contained that string, but the message
continued to appear. The man page I have in bash for grep, references
the use of regular expressions, and even demonstrates their usage
briefly, but they didn't include enough detail on the syntax for me to
get it right.

With all of the exploring I've done in my file system the past few days
I've discovered that most of the lock files contain a five digit process
id number, and nothing else, so I suppose I could alter the pattern to
be matched to a five digits in [] which man grep shows as the way to
find sets of strings or numbers of a given length.

I've just reread the grep manual, and it has become clear to me that the
brackets only specify groups, or ranges of characters or numbers, from
which to make possible matches, and does not specify how many in a row
you wish to match. I also see glob mentioned, and will spend some time
in man glob to figure out how to use it.

Thanks for your help. Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

  • Re: [PHP] glob(path_pattern, GLOB_ONLYDIR)
    ... many people assume that glob expressions ... use the same syntax as regular expressions but this is not the case. ... my php is version 4.4.4; ... I found the glob file for the GNU C Library and GLOB_ONLYDIR doesn't ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: sort files by creation time
    ... Since the map can also serve as a grep, and we can use the _ handle ... to avoid stat'ing twice, ... glob "..."; ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: A globbing question
    ... I'm trying to figure out how to "glob" lists instead of the current ... This fragment will print all the filenames started with 'a' in the ... Perhaps you are looking for grep: ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: A directory "grep" in RUBY?
    ... Robert Klemme wrote: ... Can someone point me to a quick "grep" like function in RUBY? ... all the time, but, I need the power of regular expressions when finding ... Grepping on a glob. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: A directory "grep" in RUBY?
    ... On 24.11.2006 15:38, Peter Bailey wrote: ... Can someone point me to a quick "grep" like function in RUBY? ... I use glob all the time, but, I need the power of regular expressions when finding particular files in directories. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)