Re: WEP on wireless

scott wrote:
When I open Wicd, all I get is available wireless spots, nowhere to
enter a WEP key, anywhere.

If you open wicd and you see the list of available networks, there is a
tiny triangle to the left of the network name. Click on that triangle and
you can see some more info settings options about that network. Click the
button "extended settings" (or similar - Wicd refuses to speak English on
my machine). There you can select the encryption type and enter the key.

And, again, I know it is probably not much
better then using MAC filters, I just want to know how to get WEP
working on my laptop. My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols,
numbers and one letter. It is still WEP, though.

"WEP" and "strong key" is a bit contradictory :)

In other words, in what config file do I make changes.

Sorry, I don't know about config files for Wicd. But if you only want to
use wireless with this particular setting you could uninstall Wicd and
use the settings in /etc/network/interfaces instead - if you really want
to edit config files.

Nils

  • Re: Bug for 9.04
    ... it says "this network requires encryption to be enabled". ... You might file a wicd bug if you think it is a problem that you are not ... Enable "use encryption" and select the encryption type. ... but the part about clicking on the tiny triangle was exactly ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: WEP on wireless
    ... you can see some more info settings options about that network. ... I just want to know how to get WEP ... My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols, ... I don't know about config files for Wicd. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: WEP on wireless
    ... you can see some more info settings options about that network. ... I just want to know how to get WEP ... My WEP key is as strong as you can get...symbols, ... I don't know about config files for Wicd. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: WEP attacks based on IV Collisions
    ... > to actually determine the WEP key if you have zero knowledge about ... > 802.11b frames into the target network just because you have a usable ... > with one known plaintext, then it looks like you could determine the ... The Nachi 92-byte ICMP Echo request packets are a good example ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out
    ... various network locations. ... when I have set Wicd to connect ... minute at two places -- the configuring interface line, ... DHCP -- was always quick. ...
    (Debian-User)