Re: xorg problems on new machine

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 16:42 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
Even faster, if it works and has always for me, is to boot up
in recovery mode(second entry for your kernel in menu.lst) and
when the Gui menu finishes loading select xfix(may be off
screen so scroll down if you don't see it), let it finish
running and when the Gui comes up again select continue
booting or something to that effect. If it works you will get
the xlogin screen and just sign in. This is much quicker to
try before reinstalling period. AAMOF, it's rarely necessary
to reinstall. BTW, you should never delete a program file in
Ubuntu; much better to purge it and leave no config files to
mess up things. HTHs and perhaps save you some time.

Len

Just an FYI. Did an update on vbox 9.04 32 bit. Lost display.
Followed your directions Len and it cleared right up. Thanx.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."

  • HELP geometry settings
    ... I have a GUI that is driven by external data ... scrollbar, BUT I want each section to scroll independantly inthe ... individual section it also forces the canvas to grow in height ... to force the width of the enclosed frame to be the same. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Going up or down
    ... It would have room for a scroll bar. ... an iOS-style direct manipulation touchscreen paradigm (I'm getting to ... Windows and virtually every other desktop GUI supports UI ... fighting the visuals on screen which back the old paradigm. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Vertical scroll bar in GUI
    ... Simply how do I add a vertical scroll bar to a GUI? ... a child of the panel. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... but a decent GUI MAN viewer would be a godsend. ... >> being able to drag the scroll bar in the web browser. ... There is a GUI ... > GUI tool you're talking about... ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: The Saddest of all Application Frameworks [was Re: Macro lambda list]
    ... >> Chez Kenny is that things like Petzold have no relevance. ... off my tail with the news that this is my third industrial-strength GUI ... scroll bars appear and disappear dynamically as window is resized (and ... after a cursor movement or editing action ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)