Software Installation Pains

New to Ubuntu, Last Linux distro I had was Mandrake 7.1
anyways still learning.
here's my problem.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04
Downloaded some files (Gparted,VirtualBox,Wine,WVDial,Debconf.) from the Web at the library, so far none will install.
Location of files=
/media/DAD'S THUMB/Linux/Wine/wine-dbg_1.1.26~winehq1-1_i386.deb
If I Click on a file then package installer window opens then status says

"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: wine (= 1.1.26~winehq1-1)"

Plus same here.

/media/DAD'S THUMB/Linux/modem/wvdial_1.60.1+nmu2_i386.deb

"Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libuniconf4.4"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any info.

Ed McGuire

Pueblo

  • Re: Software Installation Pains
    ... I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 ... Click on a file then package installer window opens then status says ... Without making the waters too muddy, don't the DVD versions of Ubuntu ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: windows migrant: choosing linux distribution
    ... Ubuntu, I think is easier to get started from "scratch" with, but all ... There isn't a lot of difference from the learning standpoint, ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ... Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: new Ubuntu user w/ questions
    ... I'm running Ubuntu 7.10. ... There is a standard that exists to mount a RW optical device ... can't write directly to the mounted file system, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: What is the most detailed Ubuntu book?
    ... I think I'm learning more as to how to use Ubuntu but more ... I suggest that waiting until the next LTS release doesn't make sense, ... And the next LTS release will use the new grub, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Are "system[76]" Ubuntu Desktop Computers Good?
    ... I've been running Ubuntu for about 2+ years now. ... My only other option is to buy another Dell desktop but I will ... but maybe you need to look at FULLY upgrading your present computer. ...
    (Ubuntu)