Re: Getting X to init corectly W/O a monitor conected

stan wrote:
I have a mcahine that lives in a rack. All the machines in tis rack share a
common KVM. This is an older KVM ,ad does not provide the corect response
to querying for things like monitor resolution, etc, when the machine doing
the querying is not slected to the monitor/keyboard.

But it return errors, _and_ when I boot the machine without the monitor
conected, and try to run this from the command line it does not work.

Whats the best way to address this issue?

Obligatory old school question. What is wrong with killing X and using
the command line? I mean, do you run remote X sessions from SSH to
manage the system instead of just learning the CLI?

If it's in a rack connected to a KVM, how often will you actually access
the box from the KVM compared to a good old SSH session?

Granted, this doesn't fix your problem, but it just amazes me that X
just /has/ to be running even for konsole or yakuake sessions.

Sigh.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

  • Re: Getting X to init corectly W/O a monitor conected
    ... This is an older KVM,ad does not provide the corect response ... the querying is not slected to the monitor/keyboard. ... _and_ when I boot the machine without the monitor ... just /has/ to be running even for konsole or yakuake sessions. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: REPOST : VDQ Display (FC4 & ViewSonic VG910b)
    ... >> which I run behind a KVM switch: an ASUS with a Maxtor 6E040L0 hard drive ... >> display isn't right, and the GUI for setting the display (Main Menu> ... previous monitor turned up in the canned list. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem with Dell 1703FP monitor - SOLVED
    ... >>The only other thing is that I have the monitor hooked up to an Iogear ... >>KVM switch that also connects my linux server. ... > haven't posted what the actual refresh rate is according to YaST... ... > occassionally (not a low display rate flicker, but a flicker as in it would ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: resolution changes and KVM switch use
    ... I've set up a KVM switch between a PC running XP and one with Vista ... positioning) when separately connected to the monitor. ... Is this likely to be a KVM switch issue, a conflict between the XP and Vista ... If the user enters the control panel for the video card, the driver may ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Help - PC lockup after POST due to refresh rate (I think) -I am stumped ! :-(
    ... Set it up using my KVM ... Tried the neighbours monitor too and it was the ... > settings in XP with regards to refresh rate and it is remembering them at ... Is there a registry key to ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video)