OT... but a little networking knowledge desired

I manage an organization housed in a hundred year old house built by the
Catholic church to house it's Nun's. It is built like a brick crapper.
Consequently, wireless signal in this place is problematic. The person
before me had some network cabling run, unfortunately, not to every
room, and the connection block is in the basement. So right now I have
the cable modem downstairs, plugged into one of the connections, and the
wireless router upstairs, plugged into the other end of that connection.
This is a so-so solution, because there are areas of the house that get
not signal what-so-ever. The obvious answer is to pay some guy to rewire
the house. Not Going To Happen. Next answer is me rewire the house, also
NGTH. So I though that I would buy a 5 or 8 port switch, attach it to
the cable modem, patch the switch into 5 or 8 of the already run cables,
and attach the wireless to the other end of the most advantageously
exposed spot. But, before I did this, I though I'd ask... can I put a
switch in front of the wireless router? like so:

cable modem ----> switch ---> patch panel ----> wireless router?

Michael.

PS - I'm planning on getting away with this question by pleading that
every computer in the house is running some version of Ubuntu :)

  • Re: extending Adelphia/Comcast cable to my new WIFI hub
    ... What about the initial installation? ... Did you want it connected to house ... only produce a fair to weak signal to the studio. ... Your existing wireless router should have an extra lan port you can hook ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Wireless from house to detached garage
    ... On the side of the main house that is FURTHEST away from the garage is ... functions and simply plug one into the network jack in the house (on ... adapters with a cheap wireless router cabled to the remote one. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: A Million Thanks Kye. X Posting
    ... but the issue is internet connectivity in the house. ... The reason I suggest a wireless router is that Best Buy sells them ... Walmart sells 50foot ethernet cables for about $20. ... run the cable window to window to connect rooms :-). ...
    (rec.gardens.orchids)
  • Re: HD streaming over wireless problem
    ... Suppose that's the one benefit of having a newish house with ... Should hopefully receive my wireless router in the next ... instance cavity walls ... Although I don't do a huge amount of online gaming on my consoles either ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: wireless routers are crap in my house
    ... I live in a conventional house with sheetrock and wood studs. ... Half the time I can not connect at all due to poor strength like 33% to ... networks in the list and sometimes my own wireless router signal ... If anyone ever wants to know about a wireless network I tell ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)