Re: OT... but a little networking knowledge desired

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Rashkae <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Comperchio wrote:
The obvious answer is to pay some guy to rewire
the house. Not Going To Happen. Next answer is me rewire the house, also
NGTH. So I though that I would buy a 5 or 8 port switch, attach it to
the cable modem, patch the switch into 5 or 8 of the already run cables,
and attach the wireless to the other end of the most advantageously
exposed spot. But, before I did this, I though I'd ask... can I put a
switch in front of the wireless router? like so:

cable modem ----> switch ---> patch panel ----> wireless router?

Michael.

Another obvious answer that I think would work well for your particular
situation is an Ethernet Electrical outlet bridge.  This is a somewhat
expensive solution (I think the units cost $80 a piece, you need at
least 2 to be useful,), but would allow you to bridge the wired network
segments into rooms that don't have cat 5 cable over the house
electrical wires.  really cool tech for these kinds of situations :)

Depending on the number of users, you could also buy a series of
wireless base stations that do 'WDS'
That let's you 'daisy chain' wireless stations - so if the basement
can reach floor one wireless, and floor one can reach floor two
wirelessly etc. then all you have to have plugged in is the first
wireless station in the chain. The rest all are strictly wireless.
WDS does cost in network speed though, half the network is just
talking to itself rather than to the users, so if you have a number of
people all on at the same time it'll get slow. Also more money than
previously discussed, but not that excessive - say four ok routers
rather than one cheap one. Probably comparable to the over the hydro
circuits networking.

Brian

PS Rashkae is certainly right that if you do the two router network
you can lobotomize the second router so it's just an access point and
not a router as well. It would 'flatten' the network into one LAN

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false

  • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
    ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... Finally was able to get some network downtime to make the change in routers ... wireless router, but - once connected to the SBS box and I've run CEICW, the ... I ran the ISA and SBS BPA's and didn't see anything. ... I put the old router back in service so I could work on this some more. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Netgear WGPS606 <-> Netgear WGT624
    ... | A key principle of networking is to carefully plan the network first, ... But it was based on the _assumption_ that wireless ... |>That did work when the bridge was peered with WGT624. ... My original thinking of this was at the very least everything in my house ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main piece of hardware you need to buy is a router. ... Because wireless routers for home use are ... you can use that to have a wired network. ... -2 short UTP cables ...
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main choice you have to make is whether to have the router include wireless capability or not. ... Because wireless routers for home use are relatively inexpensive these days, I'd suggest buying a wireless router even if you don't initially intend to use that capability. ... If you already have a UTP cable going between upstairs and downstairs, you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...