Re: Run ubuntu under windows vista

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 11:22 -0500, John/Pat Heinen wrote:
I have wubi-ubuntu installed within windows vista, I don't see it on the
control panel but it is visible on explore "ubuntu" 134 mb.How do I get
this ubuntu started?

when you reboot, the windows boot menu will come up with the option of
booting into Windows, or Ubuntu. This is when you should choose to start
Ubuntu.

Also note that if you have not yet booted into Ubuntu, you may need to
have the CD in the drive yet the first time you boot, so the wubi
installer can finish it's work.

Also, wubi-installed Ubuntu doesn't run in a virtual machine or
anything, its basically a full install running in a virtual disk (which
is really just a plain file on your hard drive, that's pretending to be
a hard-drive itself). This allows you to get near the native install
performance, direct hardware access, etc. that are all good for Ubuntu,
while also allowing you the option of not messing with your partitions,
or buying a new drive to put Ubuntu on. This also means, though, that
you cant run ubuntu from within windows...you instead choose which one
you want from the boot menu. hence my instructions above.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to get out of sh:grub>
    ... I'm beginner with ubuntu, I have used ubuntu wubi 9.10 for this ... Ubuntu installed in a dual boot arrangement with XP. ... If I install Grub onto the internal drive, ... to the USB Drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to delete all partitions for a complete reinstall
    ... keep all the other partitions since the MBR is kept. ... Sorry to ask this question in ubuntu list. ... During the XP install process you can delete all of your partitions ... partition in the new GRUB menu (shows on boot allowing you to choose ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)