Re: What happens after 18 months?

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Ken G. <beachkid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve Lamb wrote:
Florian Diesch wrote:

"Carlos S." <xdonzorrox@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

after 18 months I am on my own or have to pay for the latest and
greatest .. afer 18 months how would one aquire the updates and
security updates??

One would either upgrade to a supported version (that's for free) or
keep the system current on your own (most likely you don't want that).

Ubuntu doesn't offer updates for 9.04 after that neither free nor for
money.

     Specifically Ubuntu releases a version every 6 months.  Each of those is
supported for 18 months.  So by the time support for 9.04 runs out 9.10, 10.4
and 10.10 will have been released, each with 18 months of support.

     In addition to that one version every ~2 years is dubbed Long Term
support (LTS).  LTS versions are supported for 3 years thus giving you 1 year
to migrate from one LTS version to the next.  The last LTS is 8.04 which will
be supported until sometime in 2011.

Am I to assumed correctly that my present version of Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty
Jackalope) will automatically be upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
on 10/29/09 or do I have to reinstall the new version?

Ken

It will likely ask you, if that is what you want to do when you do
your update program depending on how you do updates. People often wait
to update a few weeks or even months so that they don't have to be the
ones finding the first set of errors. I think that you are new, so
this might be a good idea for you. Let the experts hit and fix the
first set of errors that always show up with new, upgrades, installs
and new software.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?