Re: Text editor recommendations

Chris Jones <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Amedee Van Gasse (u2s) wrote:
On Wed, October 21, 2009 16:20, Chris Jones wrote:
Florian Diesch wrote:
Chris Jones <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Seriously, all the suggestions here are good ones IMHO, apart from vim,
which has a terribly confusing interface and not something I would
point
a linux newbie at unless I really disliked them. Stay away from vim and
you won't go far wrong. (For the record, my suggestion would be emacs
;) )
vim is a great editor if your hands are to small for using Emacs. ;-)
How ? Do you have a different special keyboard for vim with bigger
buttons or something ...

You need 6 fingers on every hand to use E.M.A.C.S.

nonsense. The bear minimum is two figures on your left hand for
control-x control-f to open a file and control-x control-s to save it.
Of course the are thousands of other command sequences, but unless you
want to become some kind of emacs freak, you don't need them. I have
never seen the need to read email in emacs, even though I believe it is
possible...

There are several email programs for Emacs. I'm using Gnus to write this.

Then of course, if you prefer there is always the menu bar. You don't
have to use the control sequences at all.

But it's much faster to use them.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>

  • Re: Anyone use ELSE minor-mode in Emacs?
    ... > with the standard emacs keys, but I don't like to change them. ... Emacs and Vim key-bindings are pretty different, ... Vim that I was in Emacs. ... Then a Python script analyses the received email and pre-sorts it in ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: An Editor that Skips to the End of a Def
    ... that are to be found on the way up the Emacs learning curve. ... Off the top of my head, I can think of a few vim commands that have ... the latter case, you can't use backspace, you have to use "X". ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • [Fwd: Re: HTML editor. What to use?]
    ... I always admired emacs for it's ability to run a shell within a frame of the ... However, I am one of those who prefer vim, and vim does not have this ability ... I've often considered a nice gui editor for webdesign, but each time i start to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Text editor recommendations
    ... Do you have a different special keyboard for vim with bigger ... The bear minimum is two figures on your left hand for ... Of course the are thousands of other command sequences, ... want to become some kind of emacs freak, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Programming exercises/challenges
    ... Emacs open is a vi user who likes it for sql mode. ...  One vim session per file. ... finding new commands and realizing there's more to ... learning not only how to use the operating system, but also Python, ...
    (comp.lang.python)