Re: Network manager icon not appearing

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 20:51 -0500, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 07:22 -0400, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Hello.
> I am using 8.10 on my Dell Mini 10. The Network manager
icon stopped
> appearing on the bar so I can't see which wireless networks
are
> available. When I click System/Network Manager nothing
happens. I
> can connect via ethernet. On 9.10 on same notebook I do not
have this
> problem at all and in fact sometimes when 8.1 loads the icon
loads,
> sometimes I see it for a moment and it disappears.

sounds like the applet is crashing for some reason...but since
you can still connect to the internet via ethernet, then
network manager is still working, you are just lacking an
applet to see what it's doing. Try going to a terminal
(Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run this:
nm-applet

Andrew, the command yielded

$ nm-applet
bash: nm-applet: command not found

So where did the applet go and more importantly how do I get it back?
Right clicking on black space on tool bar does not result in the
applet's appearance either.

Odd... It seems that your try applet is no longer on your system.

The tray applet is a part of the "network-manager-gnome" package...so it
would be worth a shot to try reinstalling the package. To do so:
1. Go to "System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager"
2. Select "Networking" from the "Section" tree on the left, then
search for "network-manager-gnome". It should be the first or
second thing to come up
3. right-click on the package, and select "Mark for
Re-installation"
4. Click "Apply"

That should download the package from online (assuming you still have
your Ethernet connection), and in theory should re-install the applet.
After that, try running the "nm-applet" in the command line again, and
see what happens (if the applet appears by itself after installing, then
you dont have to bother with running it from a terminal, and your issue
is fixed).

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew

Andrew, command still not found! nm-apple

gary

  • Re: Network manager icon not appearing
    ... The Network manager ... applet to see what it's doing. ... Right clicking on black space on tool bar does not result in the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Network manager icon not appearing
    ... still connect to the internet via ethernet, then network manager is ... you are just lacking an applet to see what it's doing. ... then disappear and you'll get a bunch of terminal output. ... clicking on black space on tool bar does not result in the applet's ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: What starts network manager?
    ... starts via gnome-session (nm-applet) ... I'd like to be able to stop and start network manager - it's useful ... right-click stuff on the applet)? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Network manager icon not appearing
    ... > Andrew, the command yielded ... It seems that your try applet is no longer on your system. ... After that, try running the "nm-applet" in the command line again, and ... Andrew, command still not found! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: update broke NetworkManager
    ... > I ran a yum update tonite and after a reboot I no longer had a copy of> the Network Manager in my system tray. ... Also I could no longer run the> Network Manager from the command line. ... Did you lose your Notification Area? ... I have 5 different applets running in mine, including Bluetooth Manager, Power Manager, NetworkManager Applet, Weather Report, and Volumne Applet. ...
    (Fedora)