Re: A bone to pick with Ubuntu Software Center in Karmic

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 05:30:08 -0400
David Curtis <dcurtis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter,

"The Ubuntu Software Center is a graphical utility for package
management in Ubuntu. In version 1, it will build on the basic
philosophy of Add/Remove Applications and make it even easier to use."

So it's _not_ a drop in replacement for synaptic, it just
replaces Add/Remove Software, which never listed all the packages in
the repos anyway.

But continuing...

"In later versions, it will grow to replace Synaptic, gdebi, some
parts of the Computer Janitor, and possibly Update Manager; and in
version 3, it will offer commercial software. Having a single
interface will make handling software easier, socially improve
security, hopefully free space on the CD, and provide a prominent
showcase for Ubuntu and partner software."

So it seems the idea is to eventually converge all package management
interfaces into one.

Dave

I suppose that about then they will drop the .deb packages and go to
the .ubu system.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

  • Re: Eclipse et. al. fail to build from source
    ... on Linux in general and Ubuntu specifically in relation to package ... management. ... When Java 7 comes out it will be modified. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Eclipse et. al. fail to build from source
    ... on Linux in general and Ubuntu specifically in relation to package ... management. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: A bone to pick with Ubuntu Software Center in Karmic
    ... What if I'd like to install half a dozen apps at once? ... "The Ubuntu Software Center is a graphical utility for package ... So it seems the idea is to eventually converge all package management ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Mint vs. Ubuntu
    ... > I think you have again missed the point that Ubuntu is built on top of Debian, ... Most people coming from windows, or even I might say who have never used a computer before, just want a monolithic system that does everything they want. ... > package A depends on package B version X, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: New to Ubuntu
    ... Ubuntu has several software repositories, not all of which are enabled ... There is also a package search in the Firefox search box ... I don't mean after X has started but on the initial boot. ... If a kernel security hole is found, ...
    (Ubuntu)