Re: turning a desktop install into a server

Joshua Solomin wrote:
I recently installed the Ubuntu desktop edition, and got things
working; but what I really want to do is to make it a server-like box
that is exclusively logged into remotely (from other machines on my
home network). I powered it down, unplugged monitor/keyboard/mouse,
put it in its new location, and turned it on -- but as far as I could
tell, the (wireless) networking didn't even start; I had to lug over
the periphals and plug them in, then log in to Ubuntu, then unplug
them again.

So now I have a box that I can remotely access (and on which I'm
actually still logged in locally). But what if I have to reboot --
how can I set it up such that it doesn't need the peripherals at all,
and I can log into it remotely without having to log in locally first?

thanks,
Joshua

First you'll want to remove network manager. If you really plan on
using wireless networks, I can't really help you all that much.. I would
search for the Linux Wireless how too for tips on how to configure
Wireless on a system level. (I think perhaps WICD is also able to do
this, but I never tested it.)

Then install OpenSSH server package, which will let you log in to your
system remotely from SSH.

  • TidBITS#785/27-Jun-05
    ... Jeff Carlson continues his exploration of computerized poker ... and Adam examines both the Canary Wireless ... Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro ... A Canary in the Network ...
    (comp.sys.mac.digest)
  • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
    ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...
  • [NMRC Advisory] Microsoft Windows Wireless Exposure on Laptops
    ... Application: Wireless Network Connection ... This advisory documents an anomaly involving Microsoft's Wireless Network ... If a laptop connects to an ad-hoc network it can later start ... This is known as a Link-Local address, and by default Link-Local is turned on on all Windows platforms on all interfaces, including wireless interfaces. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • only 1299.99
    ... With the arrival of the Sony Vaio VGN-UX280P Micro PC, ... Advanced Wireless Mobility ... integrates wireless Wide Area Network, ... and check e-mail without having to plug in your Sony Vaio notebook PC, ...
    (comp.periphs.printers)
  • RE: palm VIIx wireless modem
    ... Here is a Wireless LAN Security FAQ, ... What are solutions to minimizing WLAN risk? ... that connects clients to the internal network. ...
    (Security-Basics)