Re: turning a desktop install into a server

Joshua Solomin wrote:
I recently installed the Ubuntu desktop edition, and got things
working; but what I really want to do is to make it a server-like box
that is exclusively logged into remotely (from other machines on my
home network). I powered it down, unplugged monitor/keyboard/mouse,
put it in its new location, and turned it on -- but as far as I could
tell, the (wireless) networking didn't even start; I had to lug over
the periphals and plug them in, then log in to Ubuntu, then unplug
them again.

So now I have a box that I can remotely access (and on which I'm
actually still logged in locally). But what if I have to reboot --
how can I set it up such that it doesn't need the peripherals at all,
and I can log into it remotely without having to log in locally first?

thanks,
Joshua

First you'll want to remove network manager. If you really plan on
using wireless networks, I can't really help you all that much.. I would
search for the Linux Wireless how too for tips on how to configure
Wireless on a system level. (I think perhaps WICD is also able to do
this, but I never tested it.)

Then install OpenSSH server package, which will let you log in to your
system remotely from SSH.