Re: other partition question

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2009/12/9 Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

2009/12/9 James Michael Fultz <croooow@xxxxxxxxx>:
* Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@xxxxxxxxx> [2009-12-08 20:23 -0500]:
So i created a partion called data. When I go to store files in
data,
that
action is not permittted. There is one more thing I need to do and
can
not
seem to find what that is. I bet one of you knows just what to do.
have
had this problem once before and i have forgotten the solution.

Change ownership, permissions or both on the mount point to permit
writing to the appropriate user or users. Alternatively, create
per-user subdirectories beneath the mount point and set ownership and
permission for those individually.

Examples, entered at the shell prompt ($) in a terminal:

Change ownership of mount point ('/data') to owner "youruser".

$ chown youruser /data

Change permissions to allow any user file and directory creation but
may
only remove files or directories belonging to them (like on '/tmp').

$ chmod 1777 /data

I think those may have to be
sudo chown ... and sudo chmod ...

Colin

The results were:
$ chown gary /data
chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
gary@garynetbook:~$ sudo chown gary /data
[sudo] password for gary:
chown: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory
gary@garynetbook:~$ chmod 1777 /data
chmod: cannot access `/data': No such file or directory

Did I do something incorrectly?

Have you mounted the partition?

Colin

Yes, it was mounted.