Re: Upgrading flshplugin

On 12/10/2009 04:44 AM, stan wrote:
I have a number of machines that cannot connect directly to the outside
world. These machines are able to receive their updates using approx. This
all works well most of the time. This morning, though I ran into an issue.
flashplugin-non-free has an update. It appears that what gets downloaded
from the proxy is an installer, and that this installer needs to get the
actual binary from the outside.

In my case, this causes the apt-get upgrades to fail on all the machines
that cannot access directly the outside.

I would think that I could just manually copy this binary over from the
machine that can access the outside to the ones that cannot, right?
But what file do I need to copy, and where do I need to put it so that the
inside machines will recognize that they do not have to obtain it
themselves?

In the machine with the outside access that has been updated: open a
terminal and:

$ locate libflashplayer.so

$ locate libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

On SeaMonkey I simply use 'about:plugins' and it gives me the exact
location:
Shockwave Flash

File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

However I am not able to do the same on Firefox; Fx only gives me the
version.

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 10.0 r42

  • Re: Group Policy - Pushing out Software
    ... going to VNC into the computer, log on as the local Admin and do my thing". ... I would suspect that you are familiar with 'updates' via GPO. ... I know the way we access users machines using Remote Desktop ... > life easy for 2 administrators keeping 80 users machines updated. ...
  • Re: Exceptional Error - Custom Menus deleted at startup of Access
    ... machines with SIMILAR ... And more precisely I sould say that I have "Microsoft Office 2000 ... * "If updates would be making this kind of problems then why other machines ... > implied that installing the updates would break things. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)
  • Re: Is a Windows 98se computer more, or less, of a security threat with IE 5.5 (unused) & Firefo
    ... from drive-by attacks its a closer ... hardware solution where the updates get applied rather than our local ... So far i've been able to keep most of the old machines running myself. ... do this just because of a security risk alone is difficult. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Comparing update systems
    ... It checks for updates at the repositories, ... I understand what a network is. ... are not to many machines, you can do it during instalation. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: FreeBSD Security Survey
    ... It's hard to make a good case for automatic updates when manual ... I have three machines, all on different hardware ... Being a broke college student I don't think that's something I'd ever do to install updates on my boxes. ... I still say it would be best for all to ahve something in FreeBSD similar to Slackware where yuo just use wget or smoething to grab a patch .tgz file and use upgradepkg to install it without having to do this. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)