Re: RFC - Archiving Music CDs for Backup Purposes

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Justin,
That's untrue! All CD's are digital. Or do you mean that the only
musical reproduction to listen to is a vinyl recording? or an audiophile
only listens to a life performance? (as it was >120 years ago).
I agree partly. I record my own performances (jazz piano) on 24-bit (OK,
it's not analogue!) but the commercial recordings I work(ed) on are of
course all 16-bit. But the gist of the matter is that you should never
make a backup with a lesser quality than the original.
About replacing that can sometimes be a problem. Older CD's are often
not available any more (at least with respect to classical music and jazz).
Joep.

I guess I was mistakenly attributed what Steve said. I have no idea
what a true audiophile would listen to, and I don't really care.

The real question is what the original poster really wants: making cd
images, or converting to another format.

  • Re: Why audiophiles have a bad rep.
    ... recording and reproduction. ... I am an audiophile -- but I also have some ... provides better sound at a lower cost. ... Yes,  high-end audio is rife with chicanery, hucksterism, conspicuous ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: Quad 989s versus 1812
    ... > that were produced during the recording. ... Not everyone listens only to acoustic music. ... >>> dynamic range, such as solo piano. ... >> How the hell can a solo piano have a wider dynamic range than a full ...
    (rec.audio.tech)
  • Re: Brautigams Rachmaninov Preludes
    ... "After this discussion about artists rights, ... would be more likely to put on the Jochum recording from Ottobeuren, ... Mr. Deacon admits to owning materials that the artist didn't sanction ... wrong to have or listen to such material but he has it and he listens ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)
  • Re: ADC converters + PC DAW
    ... even though I'm on the edge of clipping both the input and output ... have any software to take a recording and make it louder (I get ... than normal hiss from the audiophile. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: ADC converters + PC DAW
    ... inherent hiss to it (both on recording + output) and far louder than ... Certainly there's nothing inherent in the sound card that would do ... which you don't have with the Audiophile, which puts out what you put ...
    (rec.audio.pro)