Re: Beginner Q1: Linux incapable of handling FDD?

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Thomas Blasejewicz
<thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, just to confirm: is it really so, that Linux is incapable of
handling a FDD???
Since this is a task every computer on the planet could do that over the
last three decades, I do have difficulties believing that this can be so
incredibly complex. Even though floppys may be considered by some people
to be "behind our time".

Hello Thomas,
I can assure you from long experience that Linux (the "kernel" that
is, the part that deals with the hardware such as floppy drives) can
handle FDD's just fine when properly configured.
The difficulty is in knowing whether or not your kernel is so
configured. The following information will help:
(start a terminal window from "Applications -> Accessories ->
Terminal" and type the command)
1) Output of "uname -a"
2) Output of "lspci"
3) Output of "lsmod -a"

From your post I'm not sure if you are using SuSE or Ubuntu at the
moment. Hopefully someone here knows if the Ubuntu kernel supports FDD
by default.