Ubuntu Router misc questions

Hello,
i'm trying to understand how ubuntu server 8.04 firewall is made, while i
always got configured earlier versions for internet routing, and now i'm
confused.
I set up my both network interfaces (eth0 with dhcp and eth1 with static IP
for internal network). I also configure dhcp3-server and it works. While i
connect some PC to this router, i have no internet access. I've tried the
UFW which is new for me and it's confusing while using both iptables and bsd
type configuration. Tried traditional ip tables, but still it doensn't work.
If someone could show me the right way - i mean the easiest firewall
configuration.

Thank You!

--
Regards,