Re: 32 or 64??

Gilles Gravier wrote:
Hi!

On 02/02/2010 16:45, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:

It has 4 plugs for RAM so it will take that much. I just ran
top and for some reason I have 1801764000 bytes of RAM now
which if you simplify is 1.8 GB. I wonder why not 2.0 GB?

I bet 256MB of RAM has been alotted for another purpose: graphics

You may be right! Wonder how I find out if that is true?

Documentation is a good place to start. If your machine is a laptop and
the onboard graphics controler uses "shared" memory with the system,
then that's it.

Also... in a shell window, type "dmesg | more" and look in the first few
pages... you can see that memory is reserved by the BIOS for various
features...

Gilles

I did and yes it doesn't say how much but RAM is chopped up
to many uses.

My 9.10 64bit .iso has arrived so off to see if it runs...

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

  • Re: ubuntu jaunty seized up
    ... ram use 260M, ... believe top has memory leak as implied by Karl. ... total used free shared buffers cached ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 32 or 64??
    ... top and for some reason I have 1801764000 bytes of RAM now ... which if you simplify is 1.8 GB. ... Documentation is a good place to start. ... the onboard graphics controler uses "shared" memory with the system, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 32 or 64??
    ... top and for some reason I have 1801764000 bytes of RAM now ... which if you simplify is 1.8 GB. ... I bet 256MB of RAM has been alotted for another purpose: ... Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Windows uses 4 GB? Really?
    ... I bought 4 GB of RAM because I thought it would speed up my system a bit. ... Some info that is posted here as reference seems to suggest that it is a Windows issue, but others seem to suggest that it is also a hardware issue. ... "I have install total 4GB memory on my motherboard. ... On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)