Re: Grubb list menu

NoOp wrote:
On 02/05/2010 07:38 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
On 02/06/2010 08:06 AM, NoOp wrote:

I should also add that this is a fault in the new startupmanager. I
removed several older kernel images (-17 etc), and although it had been
set to default to 'Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1' (for my wife's
convience as she's trying to figure out Win7 for her work), as soon as I
ran 'sudo update-grub'& rebooted, the default was set to
vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic. I had to run startupmanager again to reset to
Win7.

I figure it will take a few months/revs to get all of this sorted out;
grub2 may be the next gen... but IMO it's a PITA compared to grub.

Just making a short comment here, you'll still need to do this on
grub-legacy if you want to default on windows. Still a PITA too. An
alternative is to set default to saved. And yes, it's slightly more of a
hassle to do that in grub2.

Actually not with startupmanager. With StartupManager on grub-legacy you
simply set it to default (yes it has/had some hickups) you'd set it to
default on the OS/Kernel and it pretty much worked. With old grub you
also had the option to suppress the amount of kernels you'd see (the
images were still present in /boot but you didn't have to look at them
if you didn't want to.

One way to avoid all this is to set up a separate 'main boot' or first
boot partition to boot all OS. Any changes made in that grub.cfg will
not be affected by any OS grub-update. Also it eliminates the need to go
to each individual OS grub to update kernel changes in the other OS's.

Been there, done that. Found boot issues with missing kernals that were
installed etc. Probably due to my not understanding all of the grub2
structure (yet). But the issue remains that, as yet, grub2 is still a
PITA to modify (may work well, but it's a PITA to modify - for me).

But the main advantage is that for testing new OS or alpha's; where, by
its very nature, is prone to errors or is 'unstable', you'll may end up
with an unbootable system if this unstable OS is set to mbr and is
nuked. Having a 'main boot' partition avoids this as it won't be nuked
by any OS, even if that OS is nuked.

Oh, it's always a good idea to keep a grub2 rescue disk handy. It was
PITA to make a grub-legacy rescue disk

Try it with a floppy on karmic :-)

, or setting a 'main boot' with
grub-legacy and maintaining it. Or when the system cannot boot. Give me
grub2 anytime.

I have supergrub rescue (not the base supergrub cd) and it works well
with getting me booted and out of trouble (so far). Hopefully the
maintainer of supergrub will get grub2 releases out soon - in the past
he's done a great job with grub(legacy?).

regards - goh lip

And I'll trust your grub/grub2 advise most anytime - thanks :-)

Where do you get the supergrub software? Since it is a two
step process to change Grub2 I agree you need a special cd.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

  • RE: Xen on Squeeze wont start
    ... Xen on Squeeze won't start ... hypervisor isn't being put into the grub2 boot list. ... paravirtualised kernel, not the hypervisor. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • No grub2 menu display; cant boot F17
    ... But since the grub2 developers are probably overwhelmed at this point, ... After about 30 sec the machine boots into some randomly chosen kernel. ... After completing installation of F17, ... At "first boot", the machine booted an old F16 kernel combined with the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Debian -> Mac Mini, so close yet so far?
    ... and if I boot the CD and choose 'rescue' it all looks OK. ... But it won't boot. ... I get a Grub2 menu list - hmmm, I think it's Grub2, during the ... If I select either of my kernels (well, I guess same kernel, diff ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Xen on Squeeze wont start
    ... hypervisor isn't being put into the grub2 boot list. ... paravirtualised kernel, not the hypervisor. ... So, I did a base install of Squeeze alpha 1, then apt-get install ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Grubb list menu
    ... grub2 may be the next gen... ... Still a PITA too. ... One way to avoid all this is to set up a separate 'main boot' or first ... to each individual OS grub to update kernel changes in the other OS's. ...
    (Ubuntu)