Re: installing XP

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 10:51 -0500, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
Looks like the wifes laptop is on the way to a major repair so we will
be sharing for a while. She insists on using windows. When I install
XP it will windows wipe the entire disk, forcing me to reinstall? Any
way to save any of my ubuntu settings? I do not have an external
drive with me but I do have a CD-DVD rw drive.

Any way to wipe wifes decision making sector and replace parts of it
with ones I prefer? Is there a special Linux program for this?

Thanks to all you fabulous people! I really appreciate this list!

gary

sorry about the lack of apostrophes. Did not want to switch from the
Spanish keyboard. Maybe one of you can teach me how to switch back
and forth more easily than using preferences-keyboard. But thats for
another post.

If you have the proper license for it, then I'd suggest that you
install XP in virtualbox and show Her how to log in and launch XP, that
way you need not hose anything other than the VM after you get her
system back.

  • Re: installing XP
    ... XP it will windows wipe the entire disk, ... Shrink your Linux partition, create an NTFS partition and install XP ... Maybe one of you can teach me how to switch back ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Can anybody tell me how to resume the common.reg file
    ... if you made any changes to common.reg and you can't switch back to the old ... install PB on another PC and copy the common.reg file from this PC ... > Did u meaning just reinstall PB,no need I reinstall WINCE.net? ...
  • Re: Repair/re-installation of Windows Media Centre
    ... And don't rule out the possibility that the entire situation was caused by a hardware problem, and that you will have to fix that before you can reinstall an OS and have it run reliably. ... Please give me a Christmas inspiration and solution to boot my system again or to succesfully install WMCE on a USB drive to get side access to my C drive - Help! ... I manage to get a WME 2005 version and install it on the same partition (I have two partitions one of 2Go where mentionned EISA, another one of 156 Go where my original Windows system is installed). ... However during the installation, after the system prompt to enter SP2, the system starts to load/configure the devices and after sometimes, my system switches off - partly no more screen, no load, but the drive is still on...I have to switch the system manually to switch it off completely. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: installing XP
    ... When I install ... XP it will windows wipe the entire disk, ... Maybe one of you can teach me how to switch back ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: New build - halt on ACPI Controller
    ... on the hdd from a previous install attempt. ... landed up using the rear panel mains isolator switch to switch it off as ... The use of partition analysis and repair tools unearthed a further two ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)