fstab related boot problem

I'm having an intermittent boot problem where the system appears to hang
and I get the following message:

One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab cannot yet be
mounted: /home: waiting for UUID=7x6fcee8-9505-437f-bb29-b9c894041172
swap waiting for UUID=59a31579-1a6c-46a8-9ecb-7d1679a9943e
Press ESC to enter a recovery shell

In the recovery shell, I have been able to mount and view the /home
partition although when I then attempt to start X it crashes. This
happens whether I do it as root or user (although as user it finishes
booting before it crashes).

Booting with a live CD and then Googling produced a possible remedy:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

then

dpkg --configure -a

followed by reboot.

This did not work.

Another suggestion:

sudo mount -o rw,remount /

or sudo mount -o rw,remount /dev/sda9 (or whichever partition it is)

followed by

sudo update-grub

This also did not seem to work although after a couple of failed
attempts at restarting X and rebooting I eventually managed to get into
the system which is the only reason I am able to post this message.

However, I managed to get back in once before without doing most of that
fancy stuff - I'm not sure why, so I fully expect the problem to occur
again.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this so I can switch my computer on
in confidence that it will actually start would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is long-winded but I wanted to give as much information as
I could.

Cheers,

Graham

  • NFS mount in /etc/fstab - race condition?
    ... It works as expected on all my boxes, except for the fastest one, ... trying the mount on /home before nfs has completely woken up. ... then all is well until the next reboot. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: not Re: yum exclude?
    ... mount old /home and copy your files to /mnt ... > ok and gives me 30 gigs of new space. ... > reboot, ... Do you Yahoo!? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: cdrom mount problem
    ... then later mount /cdrom to access the files I burned. ... > After a reboot, I can mount /cdrom and access files on the disc. ... I had a problem with burncd where I couldnt access the disk after ... cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 eject ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Bypass mount/system request at boot time?
    ... Which obviously won't mount. ... When one has access to the MP console on ... to the operator before the STARTUP process actually starts. ... therefore need to reboot, which is an annoyance), ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: encrypted partition question
    ... We are using luks extension and at each reboot we need to ... Then we can mount /dev/mapper/mappername. ... /dev/hda6 (entered passphrase twice) ... subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)