Re: learning

On 16 February 2010 16:14, Jimmy Dominguez <dzibilchaltun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now that I see I am not the only one who can just spell Ubuntu, can someone
suggest some reading material that would give me an adequate foundation to
begin learning ?
I have loaded Ubuntu 9.10 and can get around the gui, but I know that is
just the tip.  Feed me Seymour !!

This should get you started - http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

It is a little out of date, some of the GUI has changed a bit but the
fundamentals are good.

Colin

  • Re: Great SWT Program
    ... GUI, but not learning similar tools later, ... to make emacs easier to use, or vice versa, and isn't a negative (e.g. ... Both assume that you're willing to do a certain amount of learning ... have many keybindings in common. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Open Source Software Program Contest
    ... If they invest a few hours learning how to do ... you -could- use emacs or vi to change the font size for all the ... learning to use a GUI "well" is learning the keyboard shortcuts. ... I agree though, keyboard shortcuts are extremely useful, and the main ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: [opensuse] kde 4.5.2 - still cant place focus in konqueror in detail view with selection mar
    ... straight- fowrward because you cannot know about it without learning it ... Why SHIFT for selecting one way and CTRL the other, ... rather something set-up artificially and learnt rather than a good ... YOU think is easier/better because it is hinted in the GUI. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Good tool for developing Swing based GUI
    ... Some people relate to code better, some to visual metaphors when writing GUI code. ... Either way, doing it by hand first will teach you what's happening, otherwise you have no control with either the hand-coding or the GUI-tool approach. ... unless you're very familiar with that particular layout manager. ... Coding the text first as one is learning often helps master the details; certainly reviewing any GUI-generated code to achieve full understanding is a necessity. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Convince me, please! - too much about "GUI"
    ... I first tried FreeBSD in 1998, but I couldn't get anything running. ... I just had no idea how, and I was expecting a nice "user-friendly" GUI, like Windoze, but without the constant crashes. ... it isn't a chore to learn about various commands or even learning how to learn about commands. ... The command line is MUCH faster for many tasks, given that you know what you're doing with it. ...
    (freebsd-questions)