Re: Linux Forums unreachable.

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
24.02.2010 02:51, Ray Parrish:

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

That's indeed strange: UDP packets do reach the target, TCP packets don't.

@Ray: you don't have any packet filter active on your machine or your
DSL router, do you?

No, but I note that the router portion of it is blocking one specific
web site that does not match I suppose I could remove
that entry, and retry if you think that could be the problem.

OK, let's see what we do know:
- you can't establish a TCP connection to port 80 at,
- the problem is not caused by a DNS failure,
- UDP packets do reach,
- TCP packets don't
In fact, the last point isn't exactly true. All we know is that
traceroute -T doesn't receive a response from That
could mean that either the probe itself gets thrown away on the server
side or that the probe does reach the server but the response to the
probe is dropped somewhere.

Judging from the above, I can imagine two possible causes of the problem:
1. are - for some reason unknown to me -
indeed blocking you (or an IP range which contains the IPs you are
assigned) from access to their site.
2. Something at your side (DSL router/computer) is throwing away some
network packets thus making it impossible for you to access

If 1. is true, there's not much you can do about other than, for
example, asking them about the problem via mail or on #linuxforums IRC
channel on freenode.
If there's another QWest customer in your neighbourhood and you could
make them check their access to, that would give a
hint too.

If 2. is true, you have to find out what exactly it is that blocks
communication with
What I'd try:
- Boot the machine from a LiveCD and check if it makes a difference. If
it doesn't, this pretty much rules out your machine as source of the
- Change the router's configuration to not block anything and check if
it makes a difference.

While not exactly helping to find the culprit, it might nevertheless be
interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. I. e. if you
telnet to a different port (21, 53, 443, 8443 for example seem to be
open on will a connection be established?

Other than that, I don't have any ideas, sorry.

Hello again,

I have a dual boot machine, and from Windows XP I can connect to easily.

Here are the non-connecting results of the other ports -

ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet 21

ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet 53

ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet 443

ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet 8443

I tried to change my settings for the router to remove the one blocked
web site while in Windows, but it would not load any other pages after

Something in Ubuntu is blocking me from reaching, and I
would like some coaching on all of the possible things that can block a
certain web site from being reached.

Could it be a firewall rule? I have some ports blocked, and have a
blacklist policy in effect, as opposed to white listing traffic.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
things, including my poetry.

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux Forums unreachable.
    ... DSL router, do you? ... web site that does not match ... interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. ... ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet 21 ...
  • Re: Telnet, Ping and Port 1025
    ... >>I do have Norton AV and Firewall installed, ... > outgoing packets for any particular port. ... > telnet server running and the port open to accept telnet ...
  • Re: Problem with iptables and smtp
    ... What about that telnet, i`m ussing ssh on a different port, but what i ment ... The connection isn't always going to be in state NEW. ... RELATED is stuff like RST packets, or ICMP packets, or DNS ...
  • Re: ssh issues
    ... > Use tpcdump and check if packets are coming in the machine, ... > the firewall configuration. ... Another thing you can do it telnet to port 22. ...
  • Re: [opensuse] SuseFirewall IPv4 vs IPv6
    ... # network security threats. ... # Opening ports for LAN services in the external zone defeats the ... # this setting only works for packets destined for the local machine. ... # If the protocol is icmp then port is interpreted as icmp type ...