RE: OEM hard disk replication

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ubuntu-users-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christopher Chan
Sent: 03 March 2010 10:05 AM
To: ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OEM hard disk replication

On Wednesday, March 03, 2010 03:45 PM, Chadley Wilson wrote:
You may be in too much of a hurry to answer this (please don't
swear at me), but what exactly fails when you put the duplicated
disks in
another machine?
[>] I get a kernel panic message

What did it say? Something about root?
[>]
I now get on every 4th or 5th machine Kernel Panic, not enough free
memory.

Have you tested the hardware? In this case, RAM.

[>] Yip...

If I take a failed disk out of the machine it failed in, and plug it into a
machine where another duplicated disk works, it also works... So the disk has
duplicated properly.
I checked that the sata connectors are all plugged into the same port on all
the test machines. But still I get Kernel Panic on some machines.

Same panic as above?
[>] Yes

On one machine I booted to the root console and then I ran startx and the
machine freezes. I suspect this could be something in the display driver or
the xorg system.
The xorg system as I understand generates it configuration dynamically on
each boot. So how can I modify it for experimental purposes?

Again...test RAM?

[>] Yes...

Any ideas on what else I can play with?

memtest....

[>] Already tried... Not a hardware fault.

[>] It seems the not enough free memory is referring to the Swap partition.
Not ram...
I will have to go write down the error...

Will get back to you...

Pinnacle Technology Holdings E-Mail Disclaimer:

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Pinnacle Technology Holdings any of it's divisions or affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of it is strictly prohibited.

  • Re: OT/drift: when is a RAMdisk an appropriate solution
    ... include the "ram disk" component in your project. ... Sometimes, a physical RAM ... only to wind up going directly to regular old ordinary memory, ... testing the file system software. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: teaching a child - console or GUI
    ... >> possible to set up some pretty fancy 'accelerators' ... disk under a file name that is ... ... or are they really a bunch of pointers ... You mean that you had to be convinced of the 'CD in RAM' approach? ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Future Linux on Bistable Storage
    ... One major difference between disk and RAM is the tradeoffs between size, ... resume the system -- except perhaps for I/O initialisation. ... Writing all of RAM to disk burns more power than powering RAM for several ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Hard disk speed - Maybe OT
    ... This will of course all be disk cache. ... The current capture uses ... I dont think RAM will help all that much. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: AppleWorks 3 + RamFactor + RamWorks 3 = what?
    ... I honestly don't remember if AppleWorks 3 needed a Ram Driver to ... If it does need a Ram driver, the ones on ProSel 8 are ... Once the boot disk is set up and booted from a 3.5" disk drive, ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)