Re: Home LAN server: old PC hardware vs. refurb. server

On 5 March 2010 23:21, M. Milanuk <memilanuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell
refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their
refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a
run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. Given that the
load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4
people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware
lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the
computer for the forseeable future.

Any experience or comments on the matter?

For a home server, you might want to take the power consumption into
consideration, especially if you plan to keep that box running all day long.

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Serge van Ginderachter