Re: Home LAN server: old PC hardware vs. refurb. server

On 5 March 2010 23:21, M. Milanuk <memilanuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell
refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their
refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a
run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. Given that the
load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4
people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware
lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the
computer for the forseeable future.

Any experience or comments on the matter?

For a home server, you might want to take the power consumption into
consideration, especially if you plan to keep that box running all day long.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Serge van Ginderachter
ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: