Re: How to disable a Ram Swap permanently

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:36:01 -0000, Lawrence Tsang <tkwinfo@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi All,

Originally I am using Ubuntu Karmic with no swap partition / swap
file.
The Ubuntu system automatically initializes a 500M Ram Swap for me.
Recently
I manage to create a 2G Swap Partition and install the Swap Partition by
adding a line in /etc/fstab.

However, after booting my system, I find that there are in fact 2
swaps
on my system --- the Ram Swap and the Swap Partition. The listing after
running the "swapon -s" command is :

root@tkwinfo-desktop:/home/tkwinfo# swapon -s
Filename Type Size Used Priority
/dev/ramzswap0 partition 515288 0 100
/dev/sdc3 partition 2216960 0 -1

The Swap Partition (/dev/sdc3) has only a priority of -1 while the
Ram
Swap (/dev/ramzswap0) is still installed.

I want to know that :
(1) Is the Ram Swap still necessary? If not, how to remove it.
(2) How to increase the priority of the Swap Partition.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Lawrence

All you need to do is edit /etc/fstab

--
Steve

Yorvyk

  • How to disable a Ram Swap permanently
    ... Originally I am using Ubuntu Karmic with no swap partition / swap file. ... The Ubuntu system automatically initializes a 500M Ram Swap for me. ... The Swap Partition has only a priority of -1 while the Ram ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: swap partition deleted
    ... i accidently deleted the swap partition n formatted it to ntfs in vista. ... now my ubuntu is not booting anymore. ... how ever i am able to boot into xp, vista and red hat linux using vista ... Sounding very much like you deleted far more than your swap partition. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Itching point of curiosity...
    ... I'm not sure about Ubuntu, but Knoppix will automatically use an existing swap partition, if found. ... to create a swap partition then, so I'm using a swap file instead. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Itching point of curiosity...
    ... automatically use an existing swap partition, ... Ubuntu Live CD would still work, so I could check to see if it will use ... to create a swap partition then, so I'm using a swap file instead. ... to use them) is that they get used for hibernation storage. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: cannot start 11.3
    ... Just a quick question for you, how are you shutting down Ubuntu? ... latest release to see what what it's doing to the swap partition. ... Next time you try booting openSUSE, when it gives you the grub boot ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)