Re: Option to use /dev values instead of UUID values

I often have several bootable partitions, and if I have to edit fstab
by hand it is easier if the /dev values are used.

I'd prefer labels in this case.

I've tried that, but then it is just another arbitrary thing to remember.

Well, yes, /dev/?d? entries *are* much easier to read than UUIDs.
However, device names have several disadvantages, which are important.
A UUID is a permanent, direct link to a particular partition.

No, the important difference is that a UUID is an identifier for a *file
system* while a device name is an identifier for a *partition*.

Exactly!

AFAIR parted changes the UUID when moving or resizing partitions, too.

Yet another reason to use /dev notation. Note that I am not advocating
a return to /dev notation, rather, I am asking for an option in the
installer (not checked y default) to use /dev notation.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.