Re: Option to use /dev values instead of UUID values

I often have several bootable partitions, and if I have to edit fstab
by hand it is easier if the /dev values are used.

I'd prefer labels in this case.

I've tried that, but then it is just another arbitrary thing to remember.

Well, yes, /dev/?d? entries *are* much easier to read than UUIDs.
However, device names have several disadvantages, which are important.
A UUID is a permanent, direct link to a particular partition.

No, the important difference is that a UUID is an identifier for a *file
system* while a device name is an identifier for a *partition*.

Exactly!

AFAIR parted changes the UUID when moving or resizing partitions, too.

Yet another reason to use /dev notation. Note that I am not advocating
a return to /dev notation, rather, I am asking for an option in the
installer (not checked y default) to use /dev notation.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

  • Re: About those parenthesis....
    ... How is that empty list rendered into fnotation? ... That emphasis is adequately chieved simply by way of the operator name ... > fsuggests that code is labeled tree; ... No, a tree without labels is more general, clearly. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Two Click disassembly/reassembly
    ... Your ignorance is showing again with you comments on labels. ... and OFFSET from another known location. ... > RosAsm offers Local Jumps in the manner of A86. ... You can make GLOBAL scope labels with a notation LABEL:: that is ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Walds Isomorphism between V and V*
    ... notation, you can replace all Latin indices by Greek indices and get the ... tensor T is denoted as ... It depends on the context whether the abstract index labels a function ... vectors and duals, even though vectors and duals ARE tensors. ...
    (sci.physics.research)
  • Re: FAQ Topic - My element is named myselect[], how do I access it? (2010-04-09)
    ... Notation". ... object literals. ... The difference with dot notation where property name ... And the follow are not, because are not valid Identifier, ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: FAQ Topic - How do I access a property of an object using a string?
    ... There are two equivalent ways to access properties: the dot notation ... of the string matches the identifier. ... Properties can be addressed by dot notation and by square bracket ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)