Re: How to make "restricted formats" work

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz
<thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been trying to get the radio in Rhythmbox play.
So far without success.
(if you permit me to say so: as a radioplayer Rhythmbox is not useful at
all; it comes with only 25 preinstalled stations of which maybe half can
actually be played)

Anyway
the other day someone mentioned
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu>

THIS was something I wanted to know for quite a while now. Thank you.
The page about the "restricted formats" clears up a few questions .... BUT
does not help.

I think I successfully installed the "ubuntu-restricted-extras" ->
Synaptic tells me, there are 31 packages installed.
But ... the radio still does not work.

What am I missing?
Is there anywhere a documentation / instruction that explains how this
should work?
(as far as I can tell, there are no explanations on the above page
except for "click here" or "execute ...")

If there actually IS a way of selecting stations from among the millions
that must be broadcasting (on my work machine (windows xp) I use found a
tiny, cute piece of freeware (www.screamer-radio.com) that comes with
about 3-400 preinstalled stations. You just pick one and play it) and
***JUST!!*** play it -- I would really love to know.

Use the Software Centre to install a little app called StreamTuner.
It's pretty good. It's what I use.

Along with ubuntu-restricted-extras, follow the instructions on the
Medibuntu site for installing the w32codecs (or appropriate versions
for your platform, in case you are on x86-64).

That will get most things playing.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508