Installed VirtualBox - but where is it?

The other day I used under Ubuntu 9.04 Synaptic to install VirtualBox OSE.
The computer says, the installation has been successfully completed.
Fine.
Now, where am I supposed to look for it??
I cannot find it anywhere under application,
there is no icon or stuff like that on the desktop
and when I try Alt+F2: VirtualBox (all different forms of spelling,
capitalization I can think of),
all I get is the error message "no such file or folder"
* but Synaptic shows it to be installed.

So, ... where is it? How am I supposed to use software that "is not there"?

Is there any way to describe this in a manner that even a "regular Joe"
(a person without degree in computer science and understanding of the
inner secrets of linux) - like me - can understand?

(the other day I tried to install wine (could not make it work);
attempts at reading the instruction manual were like trying to read
ancient hiroglyphs from an Egyptian tomb)

Thank you for your help.
Thomas