Re: Using a 40 gig SSD

* Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-04-09 21:50 +0800]:
I have acquired a 40 gig solid state disk, wonder how best to use it.

Context is a single-user desktop, Xubuntu on 2666 MHz Core 2
with 4 gigs of RAM. Current setup uses a hard drive with separate
partitions for / /usr and /var with about 1, 7 and 1 gig used
respectively.

What file system should I consider for the SSD? Should I put
only / and /usr there and have the more volatile /var on
rotating storage? Any other advice?

Whatever else you decide to do, consider aligning your partitions with
your SSD's erase blocks.

<http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?54379-Linux-Tips-tweaks-and-alignment&p=373226&viewfull=1#post373226>

<http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/>

  • Re: SCSI module eata no longer loading automatically from initrd on Sid on i386
    ... you wanted an initial RAM file system with only what is required ... showed lots of modules but *not* eata. ... need to be in the initial RAM filesystem or not depends on when ... be explicitly loaded *before* the permanent root file system is mounted. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SCSI module eata no longer loading automatically from initrd on Sid on i386
    ... you wanted an initial RAM file system with only what is required ... There are four ways I know of for a kernel module to get loaded during boot: ... before the permanent root filesystem is mounted, ... be explicitly loaded *before* the permanent root file system is mounted.. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Win2K with 96M RAM?
    ... on any of my machines) until almost two years back when it finally made ... RAM limit); but while 9x often *needs* more or it will fall over, ... caringly configured win95OSR2.x setup. ... even better OS gracing our desktops instead of, by comparison, the MS ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • OT/drift: when is a RAMdisk an appropriate solution
    ... include the "ram disk" component in your project. ... Sometimes, a physical RAM ... only to wind up going directly to regular old ordinary memory, ... testing the file system software. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: How to Add RAM File System
    ... RAM disk build as part of a Windows CE configuration. ... RAMDISK to use in my Windows Mobil application. ... File System into my catalog, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)