Re: DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

On 04/21/2010 06:54 PM, Xander Pirdy wrote:
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday, April 22, 2010 02:24 AM, J wrote:

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:41, Alvin Thompson<alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 04/21/2010 12:23 PM, Brian McKee wrote:

Jeez, thousands of people donate thousands of hours of time to give
you an OS and you can't fill in a bug report? For shame....

I have literally lost about 10 years worth of work (well, half of it).
And most of the replies I get are from people smugly saying that I
should have also backed up my data (true, but it doesn't help). I've
used ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog, but right now I'm so sick of their
current
get-it-out-the-door-on-time-with-too-many-new-features-to-properly-test-and-to-hell-with-quality
attitude that I want nothing to do with them. You're lucky I
investigated this problem and wrote this warning.

Problem is, no one in a position to fix or even look into this issue
you have officially is going to do so if you don't file a bug.

HA!

Coming here (or any other mailing list) and providing the info you
have (which is EXCELLENT info, I might add) is no different than just
running outside and telling your neighbor about your RAID issues.

His RAID issues? Cool, his issues eh? Not ubuntu-installer's issues.
Nice. I, for one, appreciate the heads up.

I understand your frustration, but really, no one here can fix the
installer. The people who can find out about these things from bugs
filed in Launchpad.

Really, you understand his frustation eh? What about mine (there is a
reason why I am still on Hardy at work and Jaunty at home)? As in maybe
developers need to learn to keep in touch with their users then. For an
issue with such ramifications such as this, I'd say filing a bug report
is the least of the problem. Why? Because it shows that the developer(s)
failed to even to some basic testing and just let their code out in the
wild and wait to see if problems occur. If not, great, if so, too bad.
That kind of attitude plus a 'customer must file complaint via the {name
your favourite pain in the neck dept}' mentality will only lead to the
inevitable. Poor product.

I have posted a bug report, it can be found here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/568183.

Listen all bickering aside, does anyone know if this affects older
versions as well, or is it just the 10.4 beta software?

I know that you must be in a world of pain (I really can't imagine).

As for the anger that is directed towards the Ubuntu developers above
I really don't understand it seriously you installed beta software on
hardware which was also storing 10 years of work that wasn't backed
up?

Seriously if you think that it was important enough to go through the
hassle of a raid array (the first warning that I have always seen of
which says that raid is NO substitute for a reliable backup), but were
for some reason unwilling to just copy it all to some hard-drive and
put it in a drawer, and then were willing to try out beta software
near it (not just beta software but an entire beta OS!) then I really
don't feel bad for you. Don't take it out on the developers most of
whom do this as a side project for their own education.

Thank you though for taking the time to post this so hopefully it
won't happen to another.
-Xander

Thanks for registering the bug and I made a comment to your bug
which serves two purposes. It was what I wanted to say, and it enforced
that your bug is differnet from the one someone said it was dupe of.

Now it will be worked like it should be. Another feature is that
yesterday was a no update day on 10.04 so it is very possible my 10.04
is up to regular now, along with many others.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

  • Re: Who should security issues be reported to?
    ... Eliminate the security risk in a maintenance update. ... application developers can immediately start working on ... confidential bug report in the system, the number of exploits in the ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)
    ... Heads up is great, but unless a bug is filed, a heads up is all it is. ... developers need to learn to keep in touch with their users then. ... I've been bitten by buggy beta software more times than I care to ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Whoever gave NM a keyring
    ... developers that NM is not behaving as the developer and Steven have ... I really do not care. ... What happened is in the bug. ... When you file a bug report you are doing two things: ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ReiserFS & EXT2/3 issues
    ... You know a bug, you want it fixed, you file a bug report. ... it's hard for developers to keep track of things things from ... why defect tracking systems exist. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Python does not play well with others
    ... A bug report should be sent to the bug tracker for the software ... I see this kind of thing every now and again with projects like KDE. ... developers to fix bugs in older releases is somewhat restrained. ...
    (comp.lang.python)