Re: Need email server aid

Chuck Kuecker wrote:
Christopher Chan wrote:
On Friday, April 23, 2010 08:39 AM, Chuck Kuecker wrote:

Alvin Thompson wrote:

On 04/22/2010 06:23 PM, Chuck Kuecker wrote:

It worked with the IP, not the domain name.

I still need to get it to work with an outside address, so I guess I
need to fiddle with my DNS server next.

Thanks for the help!

If you just need 'mail.ckent.org' to resolve to your local address, just
put it in your '/etc/hosts' file, or whatever the equivalent is on you
embedded system.

BTW, if it's an embedded system that never leaves your network, why do
you need it to work with an outside address? Why can't you just use the
local IP?

Ultimately, this will be a wireless product that will be out in the
wild, and will need the capability to connect anywhere, assuming the
user has an email account on the network, somewhere in the world. At
present, I'm just playing with basics using the built-in Ethernet port
included with the development system.

Then it will need to have to ability to be told to use smtp
authentication, username and password, to be told what port to connect
to and support ssl on port 465 and enabling tls on port 25/587.

Ultimately, I think it will more often tha not just need to be told to
connect to the owner's ISP mail relay to send email.

Besides that, why would it need the ability to accept email? I can
understand sending reports, alerts, blah, out but accepting email?

Remote control - one option. An embedded web server is another option -
I might not need email if we go that way.

How do you verify the email source before you implement the command(s)?

An embedded web server for remote control is something that would be
expected nowadays if you ask me. And maybe your own protocol and a
client gui on Windows/Linux/Mac OS X/OpenSolaris.

  • Re: Need email server aid
    ... BTW, if it's an embedded system that never leaves your network, why do ... I'm just playing with basics using the built-in Ethernet port ... included with the development system. ... why would it need the ability to accept email? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Need email server aid
    ... BTW, if it's an embedded system that never leaves your network, why do ... I'm just playing with basics using the built-in Ethernet port ... why would it need the ability to accept email? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Unknown svchost.exe DNS port 53 network activity
    ... activity on my router as well as my PC LAN connection icon in the tray. ... port 53 with a remote address of my ISP's DNS server. ... No traffic can come to the machine, unless you have opened the inbound port ... Svchost allows the communication between machines in a LAN or WAN situation. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Suspecious DNS traffic
    ... DNS server to external world.. ... You send request via UDP from random high port to an authoritative server. ... that TCP connection, you cannot receive answer to your query. ... If you are not the addressee (or the ...
    (comp.protocols.dns.bind)
  • RE: problems receiving e-mail to my server redux
    ... I installed BIND on my Linux box and set it up to start at every ... > To: Ed McCorduck ... > run a dns server if you want things to work. ... > which implies that you are trying to use port 80 for your dns server. ...
    (RedHat)