Re: Basic setup

Luis Paulo wrote:

Please, check if you have a /etc/rc2.d/S99rc.local init script
(linking to a /etc/init.d/rc.local script).
That would make /etc/rc.local work.

Thanks Luis,

Checked that script and it is there. Btw, I was not sure if the command
'setserial <params>' should have been put before the line saying 'exit
0' or after it (within /etc/rc.local), so I put it twice: before the
line 'exit 0' and after it. Anyway, 'setserial' did the job and the
modem is working now.

But if you need to mount a ntfs partition,
you'll need ntfs-3g package and mount it alike any other partition
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdXN /mnt/path
or edit your/etc/fstab

In fact it is a FAT partition (Windows 2000 Pro). I think that should go
with -t vfat option. But whatever I tried to put into fstab failed to
mount it. At the moment, the only way to mount that partition is via
Gnome's 'Places' menu, then clicking on that partition's icon. After
mounting it that way, a 'mount' command in a terminal returns the list
of all mounted partitions, including the following:

/dev/sda5 on /media/2K DISK type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)

Now it makes me wonder what type of the mount command or a fstab entry
could produce the same result automatically, so I wouldn't need to do it
manually by using the mouse.

3. It also seemed that 'sudo' command suddenly stopped responding and I
get something like this:

misko@desktop:~$ sudo setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10
sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0551, should be 0440
Segmentation fault
misko@desktop:~$

First try
sudo chmod 440 /etc/sudoers

Next we'll see about the Segmentation fault

Thank you for that one. Seems that 'sudo chmod 440 /etc/sudoers' solved
the issue with temporarily disabled sudo command, which works now. Also,
the 'Segmentation fault' error disappeared in parallel. (I recall that I
tried to fix something else with 'chmod' some days before and it must be
me to screw it up :-))

Regards,

Misko

  • mounting drive
    ... When I use the df command it shows that 90% of /dev/hdd2 is full. ... mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt ... then I edited my fstab file just the line regarding /oldmnt/5.5 ... Ie. /usr looked like it was mounted to the correct partition ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Accidentally moved /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
    ... If /tmp resides on its own partition, ... So mount /tmp and copy the file: ... The "make" command produces ld-elf.so.1, ... If "make install" doesn't work correctly, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: dd and cp -a
    ... I redid /sdb5 with another ext3 file system and I can mount it to /mnt on this computer. ... Command: p # you enter the "p" part at the end ... - Check the partition you just made: ... Cpio will preserve any hard and soft links it finds and will also ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: mounting issues
    ... you could set up a sudo entry to allow a user to ... options) as root without needing the root password. ... I have no idea what command you need to use sudo to run. ... Writing the sudoers file to mount fixed mount points wouldn't be the ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: After system didaster how to prepare / save most important data ?
    ... mount a partition of the external drive to /mnt. ... sudo cp -a /home /mnt ...
    (Ubuntu)