Re: Trying to make Cisco/Linksys WUSB600N wireless ethernet work with Lucid

On 06/03/2010 03:10 PM, sdavmor wrote:
I inherited a Dell Dimension 4100 laptop. After adding ram to bring
it to 1gb it works quite nicely with XP. But I'd like it to work
with Ubuntu. So I partitioned the hard drive and installed Karmic
Ubuntu Remix. So far so good (other than I want to get rid of the
"remix" desktop). The 3com wired LAN works straight out of the box.
But my Cisco/Linksys USB wireless LAN doesn't (it works with XP
using the provided drivers CD). So I've upgraded to Lucid. But I
still have no wireless joy.

I looked at http://linuxwireless.org/. Apparently under the hood
it's a Ralink rt2800usb, and is classified as not yet working. So
my next move will be to try ndiswrapper. Has anyone had experience
of making this approach work with Lucid? Even if not with this
particular model USB ethernet. And if so, some practical tips would
be appreciated. I'll be happy to run any commands here and provide
any requested output to help move this along.

Following up. I have ndiswrapper installed via:

$sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-common is already the newest version
ndiswrapper-common set to manually installed

So where to now from here?
http://mikedickson.org.uk

  • >>>> INSTALL UBUNTU <<<<
    ... Ubuntu No Install Screen Boot Scripts ... After Install Ubuntu Server Constantly Reboots ... Which Ubuntu Linux Kernal To Install ...
    (rec.music.progressive)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 39, Issue 146 LAMP instead XAMP worked OK
    ... Re: LAMP ... find for how to set up a printer in Ubuntu is in version 7.4. ... How did you install LAMP? ... LAMP server software. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 45, Issue 230
    ... from fedora to ubuntu ... Virtual machine ... Ubuntu will ask you if you want to install the ... Unable to send/receive e-mail between my e-mail server ...
    (Ubuntu)