Re: Editing binary files

On 07-06-10 11:56, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 7 June 2010 12:54, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Some binary files do contain plain text in them. In theory, is it
possible to edit this plain text in an editor such as VIM and then
expect the binary to run?

I am specifically asking about some convoluted file format that I
cannot upload an example of, but the user lost the original files to
make it yet the parts that he needs changed are visible as plaintext
when opening in VIM. Despite it not working and my insistence that it
shouldn't work, the user _insists_ that he has done this before.

What say you?

Note that I am not talking about editing with a hex editor, apparently
these binary files were in fact edited by Notepad++ in Windows
sometime in the past. I do have reason to believe that the user is in
fact right.

As long as the length of the strings isn't changed, and there is no
funky CR/LF substitution, then yes, in theory it is possible. But so
much horrible things could go wrong that you'd be better off with a hex
editor.

--
Amedee