Re: Stupid Dual Boot Slightly OT question

On Monday 14 June 2010 09:51:55 J wrote:
Sigh... I knew sooner or later it would happen...

So I gave my parents an Ubuntu 10.04 disk and said, "Here, try it out.
You don't have to install, just click the Try Ubuntu button and you
can do everything you'd normally do without installing and risking
your current windows installation. Then if you want to install, let
me know and I'll take care of that for you when I come visit next."

And so instead, my mom, who can't even pronounce Linux goes and
installs it on her own, getting a running Ubuntu system, gets herself
set up with facebook and twitter and firefox and manages to even
figure out how to get herself connected to their wireless router
without any assistance. My mom...

But, of course, now tragedy strikes and we wander slightly OT. She
has a dual boot setup with Win7 and Ubuntu. Grub2 shows entries for
both OSs and when she hits Ubuntu entries 10.04 loads like a champ.
However, when she tries to load Windows, she gets a message on screen
saying things are loading but then nothing and right back to Grub.
(I'm still not sure if it's going straight back to grub or if it's
rebooting itself).

Normally, if I get a windows bootloader, I can get her to safe mode
and hope that will get us in to fix this... but since the computer
(which is sitting about 3 hours away from me right now) is going
through grub, I'm not sure exactly HOW to get into safemode after
hitting the Windows entry.

Any suggestions?

On the more general topic, I'm wondering if she didn't have just a ton
of crap on there, and something important got overwritten during the
disk resize...

Cheers,
Jeff

I did that when I first tried Linux a few years ago. I did not defrag my XP
partition so it was borked. It sounds like Mom over wrote part of Windows when
she installed Ubuntu. Otherwise it sounds like she is doing fine. When you
visit you will have to back up Ubu, reinstall Windows and probably reinstall
Ubuntu.

--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.

  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 56, Issue 402
    ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ... openoffice3..deb and install it). ... thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk. ... Play With Ubuntu, Now Mac Won't Boot! ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • >>>> INSTALL UBUNTU <<<<
    ... Ubuntu No Install Screen Boot Scripts ... After Install Ubuntu Server Constantly Reboots ... Which Ubuntu Linux Kernal To Install ...
    (rec.music.progressive)
  • Re: Re: Newbie
    ... I have always been a windows user, I tried Linux about two years ... I suffered years of grief and misery with all versions of windows, ... did you really give Ubuntu a fair trial? ... get yourself the Ubuntu CD and try a fresh install. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: OT - help request for the Dark Side
    ... Or some apps may simply fail to function - IRC, news readers, ... The main reason people used to install Little Snitch (don't tell me any ... Then they're only familiar with WP and mail as is used on a Windows ... several PS's and the Ubuntu box would have been nice. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7
    ... Windows 7 Home Premium and had it installed at the shop. ... to dual boot Windows and Linux as I have successfully for the past ... I was able to easily install Ubuntu 13.04. ...
    (Ubuntu)