upgrade to 10.4 and 2nd network interface does not auto start

I just upgraded a machine from 9.04 to 10.04 and now the 2nd network
interface s not brought up, when I boot the machine. If I manually run
/etc/init.d/networking restart, after the machine is up, it comes up.
Both interfaces are hardwired.

Here is the /eyc/network/interfaces file:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 10.209.129.22
netmask 255.255.255.128
network 10.209.129.0
broadcast 10.209.129.127
gateway 10.209.129.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 10.209.4.45
dns-search XXX.XXX

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static